4. First Aid Kit
And with help from Positively Splendid, you can make a cute little holder for everything.
5. Flashlight and Extra Batteries
(Headlamps are useful too…and you can use that trick where you attach it to a gallon jug of water to use as a lantern.)
11. Weather-Appropriate Clothing
CHECK THE WEATHER. If it’s supposed to be cold one night, you don’t want to freeze!
Adorable bunting optional.
17. Extra Stakes
Ok, so this is a little optional. But I’ll never forget the time I went camping without extra stakes and one of my tent mates had to rig up something with some extra marshmallow skewers. These titanium tent pegs might be overkill, but they’re easy to spot in a sea of leaves.
18. Mallet to get those stakes in the ground
If the ground’s damp you’ll be fine, but if the ground’s harder, you’ll have a tough time getting those stakes in the dirt. You can always try to use your foot to press it in, but better to be safe than sorry.
Yes, you should plan your meals in advance, of course. Whether you’re going to use your fire, a camp stove, or a charcoal grill at your campsite, you won’t want to forget your utensils (and charcoal, if you need it). Love to Know Camping has a handy slideshow with all of your options.
33. Plates, Forks, and Knives
You can use disposable plates, as long as you’re careful to collect them and bring them back with you to an acceptable trash disposal spot. This also includes marshmallow skewers if you don’t feel like finding sticks long enough for roasting.
35. Aluminum Foil, Paper Towels, and Garbage Bags
Not so much for the backpackers in the audience, but if you’re with kids, paper towels are an absolute essential. You can even set up this Handwashing Station. Just make sure you put your trash in the right place!
38. A Scavenger Hunt List
But make sure you take pictures of things, instead of removing them from nature. Plus then you can put big things on your list, like bears (actually, please don’t put a bear on your scavenger hunt list. Thanks). The Creative Homemaker has a good starter list for a kids’ hunt.
- U.S. President Barack Obama said that world leaders at the G7 summit are "rattled" by the rise of Donald Trump — and rightly so.
- The UK will be the first country to issue letters for same-sex couples abroad to ensure their next-of-kin rights are upheld.
- And these Syrians have returned home after surviving the siege that destroyed Homs, the third-largest city in the country.