2 lb. ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 loaves French bread
12 slices provolone cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/8 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1/2 tsp. paprikaPREPARATIONS
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl and add the minced garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme. Using either your hands or a masher to mix, evenly work ingredients into the beef.
- Divide the meat into six portions, shaping them into large burgers. Use your thumb to press a divot into the center of each burger to prevent it from bulging while it grills.
- Wrap burgers in plastic wrap and allow flavors to meld in the refrigerator while you make the garlic butter and garlic mayo.
- To make the garlic butter: Soften butter before placing in a small mixing bowl, then add garlic, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Mash thoroughly with a fork, stirring until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- To make the garlic mayo: Combine mayo, minced or grated garlic, and paprika in a small mixing bowl. Return to the fridge until ready to plate and serve.
- Slice each loaf of French bread crosswise into thirds, then slice each of those pieces in half. Brush with garlic butter and set aside.
- Preheat half your grill to medium-high heat (between 350 and 400F) and brush with oil. When ready, place burgers over the flame, grilling 5 minutes per side. Baste the burgers with garlic butter as they cook, taking care to monitor the flame for any hot spots.
- After grilling for 10 minutes, move burgers to cooler side of grill, cover with 2 slices provolone and close the lid. The cheese will melt in 1-2 minutes.
- Remove burgers from grill, allowing to rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile, place the French bread buns (covered in garlic butter) over the medium-high flame. Remove after 4-5 minutes or when golden brown.
- Place burgers between French bread buns and top with garlic mayo. Enjoy!