All eyes have been on Comedy Central since it was announced that Stephen Colbert would be leaving his post at The Colbert Report to take over the chair on The Late Show With David Letterman.
With the issue of diversity in the worlds of comedy and late-night television on everyone’s lips lately, many were eager to see who Comedy Central would appoint to its late-night time slot now that Stephen Colbert is headed to The Late Show. Curiosity was sated when it was announced that Larry Wilmore, The Daily Show’s “Senior Black Correspondent,” would take over the time slot with The Minority Report with Larry Wilmore.
Not many people know a lot about Wilmore, even though there’s a chance that he had a hand in some of your favorite television shows. Here are 11 things you don’t know about the man preparing to step into the limelight at Comedy Central.
1. He’s a college dropout.
Wilmore grew up in Los Angeles and studied theater at California State Polytechnic University Paloma before withdrawing to pursue a career in stand-up comedy and acting.
3. He’s currently working with Issa Rae to develop a comedy series.
Rae’s web series, The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, was a big hit. The series currently in the works will center on “the awkward experiences and racy tribulations of a modern day African-American woman.”
The significance of his hiring is that he’s not just a brown face selected to appease an increasingly displeased flock of television viewers. Wilmore is wildly talented, experienced, and prepared, which stands in glaring opposition to the belief that qualified women or people of color are rare in the world of televised comedy. Wilmore’s history of smart commentary on race from your favorite back-in-the-day sitcoms to The Daily Show is the recipe for an amazing, smart show.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹