1. When Elliot Rodger went on a rampage in Santa Barbara, Calif., last week, it sparked a firestorm of conversation surrounding sexism, women’s bodies, and entitlement.
The hashtag #YesAllWomen exploded in the wake of the tragedy, providing a space for women to share their stories of harassment and speak freely about what happens when women dare to govern their own bodies.
2. From that online event came the Tumblr When Women Refuse.
The title of the Tumblr is fairly self-explanatory: It is a compilation of stories of what sometimes happens when women refuse the advancements and wants of men who feel entitled to women.
3. “The goal of the Tumblr is to illustrate that Elliot Rodger’s killing spree isn’t an isolated incident,” Fader told BuzzFeed.
“There are so many documented accounts of violence against women who refuse sexual advances from men, and countless stories from women who didn’t report them to the police or the media,” she continued. “We wanted to make it very clear that violence against women happens every single day.”
“We kept seeing responses over the weekend that were sort of ‘othering’ Rodger; it’s that guy over there, not one of us,” added Zandt. “Rodger is one of many, and our intent is to create some tapestry showing the connection and volume of these incidents. We still don’t recognize gender-based violence as a deep cultural problem that we all share; largely, we view incidents as individual. They are not.”
8. Scrolling through the Tumblr is heartbreaking, and the most devastating realization is that with the alarming frequency with which women are punished and penalized for taking ownership of their bodies, it will only keep growing.
“I’ve had to walk away from it a few times and take a break,” said Fader of her time spent maintaining the blog. “These are such horrifying, tragic stories, and I’ve found it really difficult to read them in long stretches. I actually caught myself feeling lucky that the worst I’ve experienced is being stalked, harassed, nearly attacked, because it could’ve been so much worse.”
Zandt echoed the complicated experience of feeling “lucky”: “No one should feel lucky that they’ve made it this far in life without antagonizing anyone to kill them. No one.”
- Thanks to Paul Ryan, Papa Roach's teen-angst smash "Last Resort" has become the internet's unofficial anthem for the owned 😬🎤
- Markets are saying "Vive la France" after pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron gained the most votes in the 1st round of the French election.
- A Pro-Trump site is showing that with a big Facebook page and catchy headlines, you can have almost zero content and still make money.
- Tim Hortons, Canada's biggest coffee chain, is opening its first UK store next month ahead of a rollout across the country 🍩