back to top
World

Dozens Killed In Mosque Attack In Nigeria

The assaults, which included bombings and gunfire, are similar to those previously initiated by Boko Haram, police and witnesses told Reuters.

Posted on

Gunmen opened fire and detonated three explosives while people were worshipping at a mosque in Kano, Nigeria, killzing dozens of people, police and witnesses told Reuters.

At least 35 people died on Friday, deputy police commissioner Sanusi N. Lemo told reporters in Kano.

"Three bombs were planted in the courtyard to the mosque and they went off simultaneously," a security source who declined to be named said.

"After multiple explosions, they also opened fire. I cannot tell you the casualties because we all ran away," added a member of staff at the palace.

United Kingdom MP James Duddridge, the Minister for Africa, condemned the attack.

"I am appalled by this senseless and cowardly attack which has killed so many who were peacefully going about their worship in Kano today. My thoughts are with the victims and their families. We stand strong in our determination to help the Nigerian government tackle the threat from terrorism," he said.

Reuters reported that while no one has claimed responsibility for the attacks, they bear the hallmarks of Boko Haram.

Tom Namako is the deputy news director for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.

Contact Tom Namako at tom.namako@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.