1. There were tons of cool kids there.
It was basically Burning Man for seven-year-olds. There were grown-up things too (citizen science tools!) but the kids ran the show and they were totally nonchalant about it.
More cool kids.
Here's some cool kids riding a cool bike.
2. Most of the kids were cooler than me.
I live in Brooklyn! I have opinions about David Bowie! But none of that matters anymore. They're just hanging out building robots all day. No one else stands a chance.
3. I am aging.
Most of the really cool stuff was kids-only, and I wanted to join in and play but I was clearly too big so I just stared into the distance and thought about my life.
4. There was a unicorn on fire.
It has a spigot where its business would usually be.
5. There were trend-setting hats.
6. There were lots of terrifying robots.
This one too.
I was particularly afraid of this one.
This one was named "Big D," which seemed a little inappropriate.
7. Everybody wants to talk to the guy who made the terrifying death robot.
8. Some of the robots were nice.
9. The cool kids are in league with the robots and they will one day rise against us together.
10. Brain control is real and it has fallen into the hands of the cool kids.
Lots of people were using this thing to run mind-control games. It kind of worked, I guess? This one guy talked about playing it all night and not needing to sleep, which made me feel like I was in a David Cronenberg movie.
Here's what it looks like when you play Pong with it. Apparently it was a lot more frustrating than regular Pong.
After a while, it was kind of frightening too.
11. There was a celebrity potato gun there.
This potato gun has been to the White House. Have you been to the White House? Me neither.
12. 3D printed dolls are also kind of scary.
13. I have seen the hairstyle of the future, and it is awesome.
14. There was a bicycle shaped like a monarch butterfly.
Again, really just for kids. Not that I wanted to ride it around and make butterfly noises or anything.
There was an orange one too.
15. There was a minotaur.
16. This gross hand was probably the coolest thing.
17. The "Nerdy Derby" was awesome.
This was the main track. Note the cool kids, at right, probably talking about Radiohead bootlegs or something.
18. There was a remote-controlled blue shell.
19. Man wrestled machine.
20. This guy was driving a cupcake around.
21. This guy was just carrying around a 3D printer.
It was actually printing as he walked around with it. I guess he was hoping random kids would come up and start poking it? If so, it worked.