We're spending more time in front of screens than ever before, and we're worried about it.
1. "Screen time" isn't a simple thing.
2. It's ~really hard~ to do good research into it.
3. There might be a link between screen time and mental health, but it's complex.
4. If you're worried about it, you might want to think about the ~quality~ of your screen time, rather than the quantity.
5. Like anything else, if you use screens too much, that's too much.
6. You probably don't need to worry too much about the effects of screens on sleep, although it's still worth being a bit careful, especially for teenagers.
7. Overall, claims that iPhones are destroying us all are overblown.
So don't worry too much about your screen use. There's no good reason to think that it's bad in its own right – although, of course, like anything else, if it's taking up too much of your life, that could be a problem.
Tom Chivers is a science writer for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Contact Tom Chivers at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.