The word "alopecia" simply means hair loss.
And there are different types of alopecia.
For this post we spoke to people with alopecia areata to find out what it's really like living with their condition.
First things first: What is alopecia areata?
1. It's not just a physical condition.
2. It can happen really quickly.
3. It's not a stress condition.
4. Alopecia areata is not inherited, but heredity plays a role.
5. Being a man with alopecia doesn't make it easier.
"Some people think, ‘It’s OK for a man to be bald.' I don’t entirely disagree with this, but I do feel that it wasn’t my choice to be bald and would rather have a full head of hair. I personally feel that it’s a lot easier for women to cover up with wigs, false lashes, and eyebrows etc. For a man to do this, it wouldn’t have quite the same effect." – Dave Utley