1. “Blow” - Ke$ha
Although released much earlier in the year, walk down the street on any given day and you’ll probably here this one still blasting. Will it be the song of the summer: The fact that it was released so many months ago is a huge downside, but the music video featured James Van Der Beek and I strongly believe a Dawson cameo lasts all year.
2. “The Edge of Glory” - Lady GaGa
Another obvious contender but after the official music video was no “Paparazzi,” this one may not have the legs to carry us to Fall. Will it be the song of the summer: To put it simply, it’s Lady GaGa. Her fan base of “monsters” is so strong that anything she does would be a strong contender. Plus there’s that sax solo!
3. “I Wanna Go” - Britney Spears
Britney seems to be quickly reasserting herself as the Queen of Pop. This song is everywhere and just might conquer summer 2k11. Will it be the song of the summer: The biggest question with this one is whether people are ready to fully embrace Britney and deem her the pop royalty status she once had or continue to think of her in the same way we view Christina Aguilera and Jessica Simpson. It’s starting to look increasingly like she might rise above her former peers and take over the pop world again.
4. “Party Rock Anthem” - LMFAO
This is the strongest candidate to take the crown as the song is extremely danceable and it will stand out being a male group in a summer dominated by female pop stars. Will it be the song of the summer: Although the song may be a bit too sugary and we might have all crashed listening to this before the end of the summer, taking the title seems likely.
5. “Last Friday Night” - Katy Perry
Katy Perry has had hit after hit over the last twelve months and this is just one more in a great year for her. Can she take the title two years in a row? Will it be the song of the summer: Although this song is doing very well, Katy won’t be given the title two years in a row. Others need a chance! Also, her attempt at humor in the music video kind of…well…you know.
6. “Super Bass” - Nicki Minaj
Nicki is finally the Nicki we always wanted and dreamed of. Will it be the song of the summer: This is a very likely candidate as everyone seems to love Ms. Minaj. However, a problem may arise with the fact that everyone can recognize the chorus as being really similar to last year’s “Teenage Dream.” That said she’s a “mother-fucking monster” so don’t count Nicki out.
7. “Pumped Up Kicks” - Foster The People
Foster The People came out of nowhere with this mega-hit that seems to be playing just about everywhere. Will it be the song of the summer: They’ll essentially have the same success as Passion Pit’s “Sleepyhead” where sorority girls who like “real music” will choose FtP instead of the Ke$ha alternative. It won’t be the number 1 song of the summer but this will stick around.
8. “Go Outside” - Cults
As much good will as this band has, “Go Outside” has been around since last year and it still hasn’t taken over America just yet. Will it be the song of the summer: I wish! This one might sneak in there but it will only be a select few’s go to summer choice.
9. Dark Horse: “Eyes Be Closed” - Washed Out
So now the dark horse candidates… Washed Out is blowing up and the chillwave genre is rooted in the “idea” of summer. Will it be the song of the summer: Washed Out will remain on the fringe as you can’t dance all that well to this which is what songs of the summer are all about.
10. Dark Horse: “Real Is A Feeling” - Pictureplane
This is a song that could take off if it gets the right feature in a trailer or MTV jumps on this. Will it be the song of the summer: Probably not but don’t be surprised to hear it at a few parties this summer no matter what crowd you hang out with.
11. Honorable Mention: “Gucci Gucci” - Kreayshawn
12. Honorable Mention: “Triplets” - Bodies Of Water
13. Honorable Mention: “Surfer’s Hymn” - Panda Bear
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Tonight at 8:30pm ET, BuzzFeed is celebrating the biggest night in Hollywood, the Oscars, with a live show and tipsy game of bingo 🏆🍹
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be Secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," "Big Love," and "Aliens."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at