2. Then comes some Malting, Grinding & Fermentation…..Kinky
Through a smoky hot ritual called Malting, the barley is allowed to germinate, before being ground down to produce a floury substance called grist. Hot steamy water is added to the grist which produces a sugary sweet juice known as Wort. Yeast is then added to wort which sparks the fermentation process, producing an alcoholic liquid similar to beer.
3. Distillation – The miracle of birth
Like a baby in the womb, this beer-like-liquid then spends time being distilled in large round copper containers known as Stills. During the process of distillation, the liquid is transformed into the spirit we know as whisky.
4. Ageing – The Defining of who we are
At this stage the whisky is placed into great big wooden barrels, commonly known as Casks. Here the whisky will spend many years ageing and maturing into the whisky’s that we all know and love.
The casks, like the life’s we lead through to adulthood, mould, shape and define the whisky; adding unique flavours, character and personality.
Some whiskies you will like, others not so much; but there’s a whisky out there for everyone.
11. So savour every moment and make the most of it while you can!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.
- "I do like him. I love getting his ideas." Donald Trump says he's asked President Obama for advice on cabinet appointments.
- Airline confirms there are no survivors in crash of passenger plane in Pakistan that was carrying at least 47 people.
- Donald Trump was named Time's "Person of the Year" and people immediately started making memes.