2. Male dogs lift their leg while peeing out of dominance…
Male dogs will raise their legs while urinating to aim higher on a tree, hydrant, or pole because they want to leave the message that they are tall and intimidating.
Some wild dogs in Africa try to run up tree trunks while they are urinating to appear to be very large!
On a similar note: In Croatia, scientists discovered that lampposts were falling down because a chemical in the urine of male dogs was rotting the metal. Whatever works, I guess!
3. More than just chocolate can hurt your dog…
Even a little bit of the following can cause renal failure in dogs: Grapes, raisins, chocolate, macadamia nuts, cooked onions, or anything with caffeine can also be harmful. Also, Apple and pear seeds contain small traces of arsenic which can be deadly for doggies!
“Don’t feed me human food” says this cute pup. No grapes for you, pooch!
4. The shape of a dog’s face can suggest lifespan
“My dog looks like it will live longer than yours…” It is said that the shape of a dog’s face can suggest the length of a dog’s life. Dogs that have sharper features typically live longer while dogs with very flat faces, such as bulldogs, often have shorter lives.
5. The Romans coined the phrase: “The dog days of summer”
Are you Sirius? The term “dog days of summer” was coined by ancient Greeks and Romans to describe the hottest days of summer that coincided with the rising of the Dog Star, Sirius.
These pups enjoy their dog days of summer by playing with ice cubes! Watch them play!
7. Dogs can SMELL diseases!
Dogs have amazing noses! They can smell all sorts of things including cancer, epilepsy and diabetes! Researchers believe that canines can pick up on the faint scents given off by the abnormal cells.
Hope you enjoyed the wealth of geeky animal knowledge!
Tell us - do you know any odd dog facts?
Visit our YouTube channel for more animal greatness!
- Thanks to Paul Ryan, Papa Roach's teen-angst smash "Last Resort" has become the internet's unofficial anthem for the owned 😬🎤
- Markets are saying "Vive la France" after pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron gained the most votes in the 1st round of the French election.
- A Pro-Trump site is showing that with a big Facebook page and catchy headlines, you can have almost zero content and still make money.
- Tim Hortons, Canada's biggest coffee chain, is opening its first UK store next month ahead of a rollout across the country 🍩