1. When Will on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air broke down after his father left him again.
2. On Futurama, when Fry decided not to clone his dog after finding out he lived 12 years after Fry's disappearance, assuming the dog had moved on. Then it was revealed to just the audience that the dog waited for Fry that whole time.
3. When Dr. Cox from Scrubs spent a whole episode talking to his best friend and joking about his son's birthday party, only for him to realize that his friend was dead and the party was a funeral.
4. On Derry Girls, when a heartwarming scene of the girls dancing with Orla at a talent show was interrupted by Erin's family learning about a deadly bombing as "Dreams" by the Cranberries played.
5. When Santana came out to her grandmother on Glee.
6. When Chandler from Friends talked about how good of a mother Monica already was to save their chances of adopting.
7. When Pam ran through the airport to say goodbye to Michael on The Office, and he whispered something in her ear as they hugged.
8. When Homer from The Simpsons found out his mother was alive, only for her to leave him shortly after.
9. When Howard found out on The Big Bang Theory that his mom died very suddenly while visiting his aunt.
10. On Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, when Rebecca took a whole bottle of pills on a plane.
11. When Ross begged for Rachel not to end their relationship on Friends.
12. When Edith escaped a rapist on All in the Family, and Archie struggled to help her cope with the trauma.
13. On Community, when Abed showed Annie his Dreamatorium, where every simulation he'd run on the future revealed that he'd end up alone and unsuccessful as everyone got tired of him.
14. When Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia came out to his dad through a powerful dance representing his own internal conflict.
15. On Scrubs, when surgeon Dr. Casey tried to hide the severity of his OCD, only for J.D. to find him repeatedly washing his hands after a stressful day.
16. On The IT Crowd, when Moss helped Roy get closure on his recently ended relationship by role-playing as his ex-girlfriend in a game of Dungeons & Dragons.
17. When Alex started abusing diet pills to study for his test on Family Ties, only to crash so hard that he slept through the test and missed out on a scholarship.
18. When Terry told the rest of the squad on Brooklyn Nine-Nine that he was arrested while in his own neighborhood just because he was Black.
19. When Julie from Julie and the Phantoms tried to help Luke's parents get closure after his death by showing them the song Luke wrote about regretting running away.
20. On Futurama, when Fry assumed his older brother stole his identity and lucky clover to become successful, only to realize that the Philip Fry he'd learned about was his nephew, who was named after him and given the clover as a family heirloom.
21. When Elena from One Day at a Time said what she wished she could say to her dad after he finally decided to accept her being gay.
22. When Stevie performed an emotional and moving rendition of "Maybe This Time" on Schitt's Creek, inspired by the feeling that she was watching everyone move on "from behind the desk."
23. And when, after actor John Ritter's death, his character Paul from 8 Simple Rules died, and we saw the reactions of his whole family.
If you want to see more dramatic scenes from comedies, check out our last post! And if we missed your favorite scene, tell us about it in the comments below.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.