WordPress Templates: How To Avoid Themes That Suck?
So you want to start a blog? Well you'll probably need to understand WordPress, the likely foundation platform for your new blog. Here's what you need to know.
Blog Basics For Beginners 1: Understanding WordPress
WordPress is a web development platform that lets users create websites or blogs.
Creating a website or a blog on the site is completely free but you can go for paid versions in case you wish to access additional features.
WordPress is very popular with webmasters and publishers across the globe.
It boasts a total of over 75 million users with an average of 50,000 people signing up on it per day.
WordPress was launched in 2003 and ever since, it has been giving major content management systems a run for their money.
Creating a blog on WordPress.
WordPress offers you an opportunity to easily create a blog and share your thoughts with the rest of the world.
With WordPress, you have the option to either create a personal blog or create a professional one.
The difference between a personal WordPress blog and a professional one is solely determined by the kind of theme you go for.
There are themes for personal blogs and also those for professional blogs.
The latter can be used by businesses, companies, educational institutions, legal firms, media firms, artists, sports clubs, research centers, NG0s, and religious bodies among other professional users.
Personal themes on the other hand are ideal for ordinary people who wish to blog and share their feelings or ideas with the world.
Starting a blog on WordPress is pretty easy.
You only need to go to wordpress.com and then click on the option Create Blog.
You will be redirected to a page that asks you what your blog is about.
You can choose your blog's intended content from the list of the categories provided and then proceed with creating your blog from there.
Creating a website on WordPress.
An estimated number of 15, 886, 000 websites on the Web are powered by WordPress.
According to statistics from Technorati, 8% of the top 100 blogs are managed by WordPress.
These statistics point out just how reliable and efficient WordPress is for web hosting.
The statistics aside, WordPress' suitability can also be supported by the fact that media powerhouses such as CNN and Times have websites running on its platform.
If these two heavyweights can trust WordPress with their contents, who then can think otherwise?
Hosting your website on WordPress gives you a chance to control how your site looks to a very great extent.
WordPress allows you control over features such as domain names, website layout, website color, and site content among other features.
Creating a website on WordPress is very easy.
In fact, no design skill is needed at all to create a website on the platform.
There are hundreds of predesigned templates offered by the site which you can choose from when putting up your site If you may not wish to use these preexisting templates, you can alternatively create your own template using HTML and CSS codes.
To create a website on WordPress, go to wordpress.com and then click on the Create Website option.
Like in the case of blogs, you will be redirected to a page that asks you what your website will be about.
Once here, click on the option that best applies to you and then proceed from there onwards.
Advantages of starting a website on WordPress?
When you start a site on WordPress, you will be assured of an appropriate number of incoming traffic to your website.
This is because the platform is optimized for search engines thereby making it easier for search engines like Google and Bing to single out your website from the sea of websites online.
When you conduct an organic search on the Internet, a large percentage of the sites you are likely to find listed among the top results are powered by WordPress.
Additionally, the platform provides social media sharing buttons.
These further help to drive more traffic towards your website.
The other advantage of hosting your website with this popular web hosting platform is that your site will look good even on mobile devices.
WordPress templates are fully responsive.
This in turn translates into websites which look alright across all devices.
In this day and age when smartphones and tablets are the order of the day, it is important that you have a site that is easily viewable on mobile devices.
In addition, WordPress lets you see how your website is performing on a daily basis.
It gives you insights on site visitation pattern among other statistics which are vital to you as the site admin.
Furthermore, a WordPress website is easily manageable even when site traffic increases to very high levels.
A free WordPress account contains almost any feature that you may require to smoothly operate your site It offers a 3GB storage space, hundreds of freely available themes, WordPress.com subdomains, community support system, and basic design customization.
If you however wish to access features beyond those listed above then you can upgrade your account to a paid one. The paid accounts are as follows:
1. Personal account.
This account is charged at $2.99 per month, billed yearly. In addition to the features available with a free account, it offers custom domain names, an ads free interface, and a live chat and email support system.
2. Premium account.
This is charged at $8.25 per month. In addition to regular features, it offers advanced design customization features, videopress support, 13 GB storage, an ads free interface, a custom domain name, and an opportunity to monetize your site
3. Business account.
This is billed yearly at a rate of $24.92 per month. On top of the regular features, it provides VideoPress support, unlimited storage space, unlimited premium themes, an ads free interface, custom domain names, live chat and email support, Google analytics integration, and a chance to monetize your site A business account also offers you an opportunity to attend live courses and the freedom to remove WordPress.com branding.
Whether you are starting a personal site or a professional one, there is a wide variety of WordPress templates to help you design your site and get it functioning well.
Wordpress has played a significant role in ensuring that writer and authors achieve their goals. Over the years, it has risen to become the leading content management system allowing plenty of writers to publish and display their creative content. Offering a comprehensive and intuitive platform, Wordpress has enabled writers to create top-notch blogs and websites that allow them to attract more traffic.
The mystique that follows writers around saying that they just sit hunched on their computers and earn their decent living is a pervasive hype. Their lives are not glory and glamor. They need to create websites or blogs that are actively engaging and those that provide ultimate readers experience.
Wordpress has custom designs that allow users to add a personal touch so that their blogs and sites can stand out among the rest. To create attractively, actively engaging and fully responsive Wordpress sites and blogs, authors and writers need to have outstanding themes. The online sphere presents several perfectly crafted themes, but only a few are reliable. This text will try to help you cut through the chaff by providing you with an updated list of the most prominent Wordpress themes.
1. Author Pro Theme.
This is an excellent theme that seems to be developed by someone who has writers' feelings at heart. It is embodied with fundamental features such as heavy customization and responsive mobile functionality.
However, the theme stands out in three areas;
· It has a fantastic landing page which is useful to writers who are making the first time book introduction.
· It also has a Genesis framework that comes with a list of Wordpress-compatible features such SEO tools and security as well as first-hand support.
· It has an Author Pro plug-in which enables users to add their books to their sites. It allows you to display the book's custom information such as price, publisher, description and editor.
The theme costs $99.
2. Freelance Writer.
This is an excellent theme for writers who like using full-screen. It is embodied with a super full-width slider and a parallax scrolling design. lts authentic, attractive and adjustable full-screen mode makes it suitable for promoting written content. Its high-end features include:
· Fully responsive design.
· Post types, post formats and custom widget.
· Over 80 embedded short codes.
· It has ready SEO tools.
· It is fully editable.
· Unparalleled filterable portfolio.
Though its ideal design was not for sale of books, it is created to accommodate those that lack programming knowledge. It has an intuitive and well-displayed layout that enhances the reading experience. It provides great ease to the eyes and relays a feeling like that of perusing a real book. The theme comes with six demo layouts from female blogging setups to literary journals. Each of the layouts has a sole flair; hence, you can choose whatever you want your brand to look like. It has features such as:
· Social media button that allows you to link your social sites with your blog or site.
· Responsive layouts that can be accessed even from small devices such as phones.
· Touch swipe gestures are present for those accessing your site using phones or tablets.
· Custom typography that allows you to establish a reliable brand.
· It has an author profile segment that lets you share information about yourself and create a connection with your site's visitors.
Its price is $49.
This is a brainchild of ThemeBeans. It is designed to correctly align to the needs of authors searching for brilliant ways to directly display their work in an elegant and decent manner. This theme allows users to post their photos along with the content. The theme has a variety of customizing options which are suitable for individuals who like to add personal preferences to a theme.
The excellent theme customizer lowers the problems of modifying things like logos, colors, blog settings, and many others. The Background is set against excellent images that give it a competitive edge by making your site or blog unique.
· It has custom CSS and styles.
· It offers a highly responsive design.
· It has Jetpack tiled galleries that make your site look unique.
· Offers bold hero areas.
Key Points To Consider When Selecting A Web Template.
Website templates and themes play an important role in providing an outstanding look to your official website. WordPress provides access to a large number of templates and themes which can be considered by the WordPress designers. This will help you in saving your money as well as time However, it is necessary that you select the right template for your website.
WordPress is the leading open source content management system. Over 50% of the world's websites run on this content management system making it an ideal option if you want to build a new site Being an open source platform has its limitations one of which being that majority of the websites look similar to site users. This can be a disadvantage especially if you want a highly branded and unique website that stands out from the rest. Luckily, you can still have a unique and highly branded site that runs on the WordPress platform thanks to custom themes. What are custom WordPress Themes? Themes for blogs built upon this content management system are usually categorized into free and premium themes. These are usually publicly available for download. Custom WordPress templates on the other hand are premium templates which aren't publicly available for download. These themes are specifically developed to suit a particular business' needs.
Who creates custom WordPress templates?
• Theme specifications.
• Expected project duration.
• Whether you hire an individual developer or agency.
• Any additional services needed besides the development.
Based on these and other factors, WordPress template development can cost anything between a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. It's also more expensive to have a custom theme developed compared to buying a premium theme.
Here are some key points which can be considered by you in order to select the right template.
No matter you are looking forward to create a website of one page or build a huge network, selecting the right theme is of utmost importance. There are various sites which offer free templates and you can select the one that suits your website and the products offered by you Make sure, that the website does not look unprofessional and cluttered.
The layout of the website represents its outlook and structure. The WordPress freelancer should select a template which can be used without redesigning. Selecting a template that needs alterations might consume more time and hence prove to be impractical.
It is easy to customize the WordPress templates as per your requirements. The process can be done by changing the color, flash animation, logo, multimedia content and font. A good website is one which is user-friendly and you should always make alterations which are user-friendly and supported by the search engines.
While seeking the assistance of a professional of a WordPress designer, it is necessary to ensure that they provide round the clock customer support services. This will help you in getting rid of your issues related to unexpected problems in template installation or running the website. The operation executives should provide instant help via email, phone call and live chat.
Design Web templates are available at varied prices and you should always prefer to select the one provides a professional touch to your website. It should be able to grab the attention of visitors and attract numerous customers enhancing the traffic to a great extent. It should be compatible with different browsers and run effectively and smoothly.
Ready-made templates not only save your time, efforts and money but also provide a professional look to your website at cost effective prices. So, make sure you select a web design template that suits your website requirements and is able to generate huge traffic.
Reading this article will help remove your doubts regarding whether you should choose a pre-made or create a custom WordPress theme. Basically, we will be covering the pros and cons of both the approaches to developing a site
Pros and Cons of a Pre-built Wordpress Theme.
Pre-built WordPress themes are the ones that are created by theme developers and made available online. You can find free and premium pre-made themes in the official WordPress Theme Directory or any other third party sites (such as Themeforest, Themeisle, Elegant Themes and many other sources).
1. Affordability: This is the biggest benefit of using a pre-made template. A free theme saves you from churning out your hard earned money. On the other hand, a premium model can be purchased under $100. Even if, you select a paid theme from a recognized source, you can easily find one suitable for your niche at a reasonable price.
2. Real Time Saver: You can have your website up and running in just minutes using a common theme. You just need to spend time in searching for an appropriate design template that meets your particular business needs. Also, a premium option is designed according to latest web trends. This further saves time in customizing your existing website design as per the ongoing trends.
1. Faulty Code: This is one major issue with pre-built themes, especially the ones that are free to download. In fact, at times, you may even find fault code in a paid template.
2. Can Prove Costly in the Long Run: If your theme provider does not offer required support, then you may end up spending more than planned on making changes to your theme.
Pros and Cons of a Custom-made WordPress Theme.
A custom-made WordPress theme is built to achieve your particular needs. It is an excellent approach to establishing a unique looking website. And thus, such a template helps in representing your business in a far better manner than your competitor's site.
1. Uniqueness: Just like said before, a custom built theme assist in creating a website with unique design and functionality. As modern day people prefer sites offering distinct and exceptional experiences, a custom designed layout will surely help you create an edge over your counterparts.
2. Better Control: Unlike a pre-made theme that restricts you from making changes to your website layout, a custom design provides better control over modifying the layout. For instance, you can add/remove elements (like images, buttons, etc.) from the site based on your preference.
1. Cost: Building a custom template from scratch can cost you a lot of money, not just in hundreds but thousands. With that said, you cannot deny that investing money in strengthening your online presence is crucial to your success. So, when opting for this approach make sure to plan out your requirements beforehand, and then decide if the custom theme will prove a good investment in the long run or not
2. Future Updates: Premium pre-built themes are always upgraded by the support team in time. However when focusing on other crucial aspects of your website development or customization project, you might forget to run the desired upgrades.
Choosing between free and paid WordPress templates.
A Wordpress template is free open source content management system (cms) based on programming languages such as php and MySQL. lt can be run on a hosted server i.e. wordpress.org or one run locally on the client machine. That can even be installed local hardware such as wamp machine or xampp .Wordpress features include tool architecture and a design template system. Wordpress is the most popular blogging site to use online. Some of the features of using WordPress layouts include:
1. Easy and quick Unit installation. The software program asks fundamental general information, where one needs to click on the wordpress link and the installation process is automatic.
2. Functionality. which has customized to suit the needs and requirements of the user. This ranges from the website functionality i.e. fashion, sports etc.
3. Open source. Wordpress contains php codes that can be viewed and edited by anyone who wishes to use the wordpress template. There are also documentations available to guide the programmers.
4. Automatic updates. Wordpress contains many free built plugins that can be downloaded and installed to automatically update its contents.
Before choosing any template make sure that it suits the character and purpose of your website; so select smartly as the wrong design will make an wrong impression of your business. Templates are available in several categories which include for personal use and business purpose. Under business layouts, there are further neighborhoods i.e. fashion shop, then web templates of fashion shop are available and also corporate and business like a buildings firm required templates for your business will be found. So go ahead and choose the best template for your website to see your business flourish in the coming back days.
Whether you want to build a blog or a website, WordPress gives you the flexibility of choosing from the best templates for offering your website a beautiful appearance. There are many types of WordPress web templates available: the consumer choose to suite his or her needs. T
These templates are categorized into two main categories
· Free WordPress web templates.
· Paid WordPress templates.
Free WordPress templates.
These web templates are those that can be found without taking on any cost (free). There are many ready-made free WordPress templates which is often easily found online. Quite a few are offered for free. These free layouts are actually eye-catching and are superb in graphic quality. Many of the most popular downloaded themes of WordPress are regal blue and wedding went up templates. These templates have sidebars as well which make the looks more articulate. There are numerous websites offering free WordPress templates which you can select depending on your category. Examples of these amazing sites are: https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/best-free-wordpress-themes https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/best-fre.
These websites provide payment themes and have categorized all of them into various categories for the simplicity customers. There are other sites giving you the requirement to fix anything or changes a little bit for website which they already have. An individual can check out to learn a template for modifying the context within the site Firms also supply specific templates for instance CMS like Joomla, Drupal Or perhaps WordPress, and other organizations are offering to you personally templates in a bigger range.
Right now there are organizations that provide free templates with a modern style and a good look. Various other templates are good for more the main one particular sites so that it could be used widely to cover just about all specs. Free of charge templates are often the best choice for many who may want to spend any money on the appearance of a website. Although free WordPress templates are free, users can also find good support about the queries. Many builders respond to queries and comments in forums i. e. from WP Formulae, official forums. and Mageewp. Since free WordPress web templates do not cost any money, you can simply download and learn to use it, and if you will find it is not the one you are looking for, you can certainly change it with a different one.
· Unsolicited mail links: Some free styles may come with spam links. The safest way to download free topics is to download from reputed provider.
· Not well-coded, which may make your site vulnerable or hard to get high positioning.
· Not unique and you will find many similar Free topics look like each other.
· The update is not as great as that of Paid themes.
· A lot of free themes may well not work properly as they do not come with warrantee or assurance of working.
· Exposure to security weaknesses as there is no top security offered, which may lead to loss of information or virus infections.
Paid WordPress templates.
These are templates where the user has to incur a cost for him/her to obtain and use the WordPress template. prices vary depending on various factors such as; security, requirements of the consumer. Free templates can be a good option only if you need to add a general template to your internet site However, you can go for high quality blog templates in order to give your site a professional look.
Reasons as to why you should go for paid wordpress templates for your WordPress site.
· Duplicate templates. Because the free templates are available for free on the net, you may choose a template that can be found on several sites on the web. Eventually, your site will look very similar to websites. Hence, an unique template can make your site different from others. In the event that your site does not provide an unique look, your site will not appearance professional and can finally cause low sales.
· Advertising space. If you are into internet marketing, you may find hard to a find free blog template with more advertising space. The more advertising space you have on your site, the better will probably be your chances of making money from your site. With premium templates, you can certainly find templates with more advertising space.
· Appearance. You can certainly find attractive looking premium templates with stunning designs, fonts, colors and so on It will provide a site a professional look that will only encourage people to visit your website.
· Support. If you face any issue with your paid wordpress template, you can contact the designer of the template and get the challenge solved.
Whether you are starting a personal site or a professional one, there is a wide variety of WordPress templates to help you design your site and get it functioning well. Make sure you read all the aspects discussed in this article to make an informed decision about choosing from the various types of WordPress templates.