We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their favorite random fact. Here are some of the craziest ones.
And yes, I fact-checked them all!
1. Doves and pigeons are pretty much the exact same animal.
2. It's possible to use sign language with an accent.
"If you grow up using one sign language and then learn a different sign language, you’ll sign with an accent."
3. The filling in between the wafers in a Kit Kat is...other Kit Kats.
4. We see, use, and drink the same water that the dinosaurs did.
"All the water on Earth today is all the water there’s ever been. We’re basically drinking dinosaur pee."
5. Shakespeare invented a ton of words, like "gossip" and "lonely."
6. Six Flags is named that because six different countries' flags have flown over Texas.
"Six Flags theme park gets its name from the six flags (or countries) that have occupied Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the United States. The original theme park, Six Flags Over Texas, is located in Arlington, Texas."
7. We have no idea why the ABCs are in that order, but they've been that way for thousands of years.
8. Platypuses look funny and cute, but they can poison you with a spur on their feet.
9. Most people only breathe through one nostril at a time.
"The nasal cycle always gets me. Basically, you breathe in more through one nostril than the other at all times, and the nostrils switch every 15 minutes or so. This explains why, when you have a cold, one nostril is always stuffier than the other."
10. You'll never know what your own voice sounds like without a recording of it.
11. George Washington never knew dinosaurs existed.
"Washington died (1799) before dinosaurs were even discovered or identified (1841) so he lived in a world with no ‘saurs."
12. The world's largest wild camel population is in Australia, not in the Middle East or the Sahara Desert.
13. Early Harvard students didn't have to learn calculus.
"Harvard was founded (1636) before modern calculus was derived (around 1660–70)!"
14. You can always see your nose, you just don't always notice it.
15. The national anthem stole its melody from an old British drinking song.
"The U.S. national anthem’s melody was originally the melody for a British drinking song."
16. Some cephalopods have messed up-looking brains.
17. There's an entire book that doesn't contain a single letter E.
18. We know next to nothing about our oceans.
"The ocean covers 70% of the Earth and we have explored less than 5% of it. What?!?!??"
19. All of the planets in the solar system could fit between the Earth and the moon.
20. We never see ourselves with our own eyes, so we'll never get an accurate look at our own faces.
"We will never see ourselves with our own eyes, only in mirrors or pictures."
21. Polar bear hair isn't actually white.
22. It's pretty easy to find someone who shares a birthday with you.
"The birthday paradox says that you only need 23 people in a group for there to be a 50% chance of two having the same birthday."
23. And humans are born to be pretty much fearless.
Submissions have been lightly edited for length/clarity.