28 Inexpensive Products That'll Help You Be Kinder To The Planet
From cleaning and laundry to hair and skin care, we've got you covered.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. An all-natural laundry butter made with sensitive skin in mind. And since this powerfully gentle detergent comes in a reusable glass jar, you'll get clean and fresh clothes while living a zero-waste life.
Altus Advantage is a woman-owned small business based in Canada whose mission is to make the world a more eco-friendly place by creating natural and zero-waste cleaning products and soaps for sensitive skin.
Promising review: “Amazing laundry soap! It works very well and makes my clothes noticeably cleaner and brighter. (: The scents are both lovely; nice and light, just the right amount of scent you want really. The seller is super friendly. Good communication on their part!” —taralee0o
2. Plant-based laundry detergent from Tide so you can stick to a brand you know and trust without sacrificing sustainability.
Besides not using toxic chemicals, plant-based products help us to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels as well as reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Promising review: “I typically purchase a regular Tide laundry detergent but recently decided to try to seek out more sustainable, plant based, 'cleaner' cleaning products. I figure the less in them, the better. I was very surprised to see Tide had their own more environmentally friendly version so of course I had to try it! My biggest fear was that our laundry wouldn't smell as nice or feel as clean but this has proved me wrong! A little goes a long way, the smell is fantastic but not overpowering, and it really does a great job. I'll be buying this version of tide from now on! Added bonus that it comes in a recyclable cardboard box with a spout for easy pouring.” —Bridgette
Get it from Target for $17.99.
3. A pack of biodegradable meal prep containers that are also microwave-, dishwasher-, and fridge-safe. They're sure to decompose as quickly as you shoveled your lunch into your mouth. No judgement, I get it. Food is good.
Promising review: “These are hard like plastic but they're not plastic, they're plant based so you can feel better about your purchase. The lids fit well and provide leak proof protection. If you have a leak, you did not put the lid on all the way, so try again. These are great meal prep containers and I will be buying more.” —mrcursive
Get it from Target for $12.19.
4. Dropps dishwasher detergent pods — these mineral-based pods will deliver a squeaky and lemony clean wherever stuck-on messes and cloudy glassware roam. And it'll do all of that without even a trace of plastic!
5. An all-natural stain remover providing a safe and effective way to get rid of those grass, blood, wine, chocolate, and makeup spots and smears.
Promising review: "I'm always skeptical of these kinds of products, but I went ahead and decided to give this stain remover a chance because I have clothes that have small grease spots from cooking that I never notice until after I've already washed them. I used this on those items (which have already gone through the dryer several times), as well as my trusty old 'period panties' that hide in the back of my drawer. I sprayed it on the stains pretty generously, let it sit for a few hours, and then washed them as I usually do. When I took everything out of the dryer, the stains were gone! I have never seen such results from anything I've used before, including all of the big name stain removers that claim to be the best. This product will remain a staple in my laundry room forever!" —Kerry
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
Read our full review of Puracy Natural Stain Remover.
6. A detangling moisturizer enriched with shea butter, olive oil, and eco-friendly preservatives that'll help get all those unfriendly knots out of your hair.
Promising review: “I have long 3c hair, and it gets very dry and frizzy, so detangling it takes a long time and can be painful with the wrong product. This detangler not only smells amazing but it also softens my curls so much and makes them manageable. For anyone who has really dense hair that takes a long time to comb, this can be your best friend.” —Kay
Get it from Target for $7.99.
7. A refillable jar of eucalyptus toilet-cleaning bombs because your toilet is in need of a good natural, chemical-free cleaner. Made using baking soda, eucalyptus essential oils, and citric acid, these cleaning agents will be kind to you, your home, and the planet.
Happy Earth Boutique is a woman-owned small business making healthier alternatives for your health and home.
Promising review: "The eucalyptus is strong and it fizzes nicely. I drop one in once or twice a week and scrub the toilet a bit, and the scent lingers after flushing. Perfect for keeping my bathroom fresh!" —kd Bromley
8. A plant-based surface cleaner that'll not only clean your countertops, appliances, tiles, and windows, but also leave behind its gorgeous blended scent of green tea and lime.
Promising review: "With two kids in the home, I was on the hunt for an effective but natural cleaner. I've tried a couple in the past, but they were not as effective at cleaning. I'm happy with how well Puracy cleaned my entire bathroom. It was easy getting the dirt off of surfaces, and I love the light, natural scent it leaves behind. Not once did I have to cough or leave the room to get a break from fumes. Best of all, my 1-year-old was able to stay in my bedroom with me the entire time I was cleaning my bathroom without the worry of him inhaling fumes. I'm very happy with this product and will be making this a staple cleaning product in my home. I'm ready to throw out all other cleaning products." —Tia
Get it from Amazon for $11.50+.
9. A zero-waste starter kit including everything you need to begin a more minimal life. No more single-use plastics for you!
You'll get a French cotton net bag, two cotton muslin and two mesh produce bags, beeswax cloths, a stainless-steel lunchbox, a stainless-steel tumbler with straw and bamboo travel utensils.
Wild Minimalist is a small business based in the Bay Area hoping to spread their love of minimal living. Wild Minimalist was created to make it easier for others to join in their journey towards a zero waste lifestyle.
Promising review: "I’ve already used everything in the kit, and as a beginner it offers perfect alternatives from what I would usually reach for! I’m so excited to order from Wild Minimalist again!" —Laura C
Get it from Wild Minimalist for $99.99 (originally $115).
10. An eco-friendly oven scrub cleaner for tackling all the caked-on messes you've learned to ignore. Made with natural ingredients (including pumice stone and baking soda), you'll get your oven back without all the toxic fumes.
11. Natural, vegan, and cruelty-free shampoo bar from Faith In Nature — enhanced by lavender and geranium essential oils, this shampoo will nourish and soften your hair, leaving it sleek and smooth! Plus, no plastic packaging!
12. A pack of reusable stainless-steel straws so your desire to be eco-friendly isn't sabotaged by paper straws that'll just dissolve in your homemade iced coffee.
Promising review: "I bought these stainless-steel straws in an effort to use just a little less plastic. I am always on the go, so I have at water and/or coffee with me at all times. My teeth are very sensitive to temperature, and straws are very helpful but I hated throwing away plastic straws. These straws fit nicely in my 32 oz sippy cups and are also acceptable for use in my smaller to-go mugs.
They're easy to clean with the provided brush and when that wears out, pipe cleaners from the craft store work just as well. I am quite satisfied with these straws and now give them as gifts with personalized coffee mugs." —Jo Rose
Get it from Amazon for $5.89+ (available in four sizes).
13. Or a pack of reusable silicone straws if you're a bit of a straw biter who still cares about the environment!
14. A pair of coconut bowls and spoons made from up-cycled coconut shells that are sure to make your cereal, soup, and salad experiences all the better!
Promising review: “These bowls are amazing! My family eats smoothie bowls every morning and we love eating them out of these bowls. Eating out of the coconut bowls is so much fun and adds to the whole experience since they look so great and tropical. The bowls are easy to use and clean and the best part is that you get to help our planet.” —from a reader
Get it from Amazon for $19.99.
15. A plant-based pest control spray because harsh chemicals can kill your sense of smell along with the ants at your baseboard. Zevo's mineral oil-spray is safe to use around pets and children because it works by tapping into the nervous system receptors of only insects.
16. A reusable bamboo cutlery set complete with an Ankara fabric roll up pouch so you can take this to work with your lunch instead of using single use plastic.
17. Reusable cotton and bamboo makeup pads — these eco-friendly rounds will help you apply toner or remove foundation. Disposable rounds got nothin' on these!
Promising review: “These red useable makeup rounds work great! They are by far the SOFTEST rounds I’ve used. They feel as soft as disposable cotton rounds and much better than other brands I’ve tried that have a slight towel feel. The rounds are a good size and are also easy to clean. So far if I’ve taken any makeup off with them, I just rinse them off in the sink for a few seconds and the makeup slides right off the pad. I like to do my part in helping the environment and this is a very simple way to do that.” —Jessica A Durando
Get it from Amazon for $15.
18. Reusable beeswax wraps will help you preserve your fruits, veggies, and cheeses. Say goodbye to plastic storage bags and clingy plastic wraps!
19. A refreshing, homemade candle from AcScented Air that'll help give your space a warm and inviting feel. These burn for 60 hours, so their soothing scents will see you through many days to come.
These AcScented Air candles are made of coconut wax, so no need to worry about harsh chemical smells. I've been using these candles for years, and they never disappoint. Each 8 oz candle has a burn life of an impressive 60 hours, but you'll definitely want to stock up on all their amazing scents. My favorites right now are Country Clothesline and Lavender & Lemongrass.
20. A pack of minty, woven Coco Floss (that come in refillable containers) because your teeth and gums deserve better than floss that just kinda moves plaque from one side to the other. Coco Floss is made of fibers that work to grab everything that shouldn't be there.
I am proud to say that I am a Coco Floss convert! I use it every single day (humblebrag, my dentist is proud of me). Wanna know what I love about it? Good, 'cause I was about to tell you anyway. Firstly, it smells and tastes good. Sure you can get minty flosses, but they feel plasticky and don't get all the grime and guck out from between your teeth. I can feel the fibers of my Coco Floss scrubbing to make sure there's no plaque buildup. And this is a small thing, but it doesn't stick to my fingers when I'm done with it. Am I the only one who has to shake it like a Polaroid picture to get used floss off my hands? If I'm not, then Coco Floss is for you.
Get a three-pack from Amazon for $25 (available in four flavors).
21. A pack of three hand-knit hemp sponges if you're tired of wasting money on rubbery sponges that disintegrate during every dish-cleaning session.
Promising review: “I was looking into “low-waste”/ “zero-waste” options for hand dish washing, but I didn’t want to buy all the different brushes most blogs and posts talk about. These hemp scrubbers are biodegradable, natural, and wicked good quality! They are tightly woven, and can do the job of any conventional dish sponge. When food debris get in between the fibers, it easily rinses away with water. I have washed it in the laundry along with my towels, and it still keeps its shape. They will definitely last a long time, they are reusable after all!” —Alexis
Get it from Amazon for $16.37.
22. An organic cotton crewneck tee — get cozy in this anything-but-basic shirt!
This tee is made using certified organic cotton which means that, instead of using toxic pesticides, the farms this cotton comes from uses crop rotation, cover crops and organic fertilizers to create rich life-supporting soil. Which is better for the planet!
Promising review: “This was my first time purchasing from Everlane, and it won't be the last. I love the feel and it fits so great. Will definitely buy more!” —Graminco
Get it from Everlane for $24 (available in women's sizes XXS–XL and in six colors).
23. A biodegradable mesh bag you'll wanna show off at the farmers market. Inside you'll find two big pockets perfect for your wallet, phone, and keys.
Back Beat Co. is a small business based in LA sustainably creating eco-friendly *and* trendy clothes and accessories.
Get it from Back Beat Co. for $10 (originally $38).
24. A natural dusting spray for a gentle yet powerful way to remove dust. Plus, it's got a cinnamon orange scent that'll make you wanna dust *everything*!
25. Colorful stainless steel chopsticks so you can check the "no utensils" option on Grubhub when you order sushi.
Promising review: “I ordered this product mostly for my husband. He loves using chopsticks when we make certain meals. We had previously been using wooden ones that had to be hand washed. These have the ability to be cleaned in the dishwasher, which I love! I also enjoy the different colors. The rose gold and rainbow are my favorite! Overall, it was a great purchase that the whole family is enjoying. Amazing price and product!!!” —Charity R
Get it from Amazon for $9.99 (available in two other colors).
26. A squad of gray dryer balls made of 100% New Zealand wool to replace toxic dryer sheets and fabric softeners. Save on drying time while also helping to save the planet.
27. A rechargeable waterproof pocket lighter that's also windproof because lighting a candle, campfire, or joint on a windy day shouldn't feel like an Olympic event.
Promising review: "I have tried several brands of plasma lighters and this one is the most all-around reliable. I’m out in the woods a lot and my equipment has to stand-up to the elements. I dropped this lighter in three inches of water three times for five seconds each. Upon inspection, there was no moisture inside the cap and it lit immediately. The charging port is inside and protected by the cap. I dropped the lighter from about three feet onto a wooden floor and then on concrete. No damage and it lit immediately." —John
Get it from Amazon for $14.89.
28. A pack of Swedish dishcloths made of cellulose and cotton so absorbent, they'll help you cut down on drying time so you can do something you actually enjoy.
Not sure you can part with your sponge? Read here about why you should look into (less gross) alternatives.
Promising review: "These are awesome and I don’t know why I didn’t learn to use these in the kitchen and bathroom ages ago. They wipe down countertops, sinks, and everything, leaving hardly any water behind and pick up even the smallest of debris, lint etc. These are great quality and just as good as the Wet-It Branch." —Shopper56
Get it from Amazon for $15.20 (available in 20 other designs).
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.