Upside-Down Dome Cake
300 grams unsalted butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 13-ounce can condensed milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
¾ cup pineapple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup muscovado sugar
1 28-ounce can pineapple rings in syrup
6 maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Make the cake batter: In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until creamy and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Add the condensed milk and continue beating to incorporate.
4. Add half of the flour and fold with a rubber spatula to incorporate, then add the rest of the flour and the baking powder. Continue mixing until combined.
5. Add the pineapple syrup and vanilla, and mix well.
6. Make the caramel: In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and mix until the sugar is completely dissolved and the caramel is golden brown.
7. Pour the caramel into a large ovenproof bowl and swirl to coat the sides.
8. Arrange the pineapple rings over the caramel, starting with one in the center and the rest surrounding it. Place a cherry in the hole of each pineapple ring.
9. Pour the cake batter over the pineapple.
10. Bake for 55 minutes.
11. Invert onto a platter, then slice and serve.