Crunchy Salt And Pepper Shrimp
for 3 servings
1 lb frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on (455 g)
1 cup cornstarch (125 g)
3 cups oil (720 mL)
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons black pepper
¼ cup scallions, sliced (25 g)
white rice, cooked, for serving
1. Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
2. Add the shrimp to a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit until thawed, about 10 minutes.
3. Drain the thawed shrimp on paper towels and pat dry.
4. Place the cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss until well-coated.
5. Heat the oil in a wok or large pan until it reaches 400°F (200°C).
6. Add the garlic and fry for 40 seconds-1 minute, until golden brown. Remove the garlic with a strainer or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
7. Fry the shrimp, about 6 at a time, for 2 minutes, or until light golden brown. Transfer to the wire rack to drain.
8. In a clean wok or large pan, add the ginger and red pepper flakes and toast for 2 minutes, until the ginger is starting to brown.
9. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Season with the salt and pepper and toss until well-coated.
10. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and garnish with the scallions and fried garlic.
11. Serve with rice.