Chili Cheese Burger Bowls
for 8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup white onion, chopped (150 g)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef (455 g)
14.5 oz crushed tomato (410 g)
6 oz tomato paste (170 g)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup water (120 mL)
2 ⅔ cups grated parmesan cheese (295 g)
2 lb ground beef, divided into 8 patties (905 g)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
8 brioche burger buns
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot with a lid over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent.
2. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, ground pepper, paprika, chili powder, ground cumin, and stir to combine. Add water and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Set a wire cooling rack on top of a baking sheet. Place a metal 1-cup (240 ml) measuring cup upside down on top of the cooling rack.
5. In a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, pour ⅓ cup (35 g) of Parmesan in the center of the pan and spread out into a thin circle, about 5 inches across. Without disturbing the cheese, melt for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and fully melted.
6. Once the cheese is fully melted, run a spatula along the edges of the cheese and shake the pan to loosen the cheese circle. Carefully slide the melted cheese over the inverted measuring cup to form a cheese bowl. DO NOT TOUCH, it is extremely hot. Set aside and let cool completely, about ten minutes. Repeat with the rest of the Parmesan to make 8 bowls.
7. Lightly grease a large skillet over high heat, then add the beef patties (in batches, if necessary) and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes without disturbing, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the internal temperature has reached at least 165˚F (75˚C).
8. To assemble, place a bottom burger bun on a plate and put a cheese bowl on top. Lay a burger patty inside the cheese bowl and top with a spoonful of chili, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, and the top bun.