1. This is Malala Yousafzai. Last year, the Taliban shot her on her school bus in Pakistan because she was campaigning for universal education and girls’ rights.
2. She was flown to the U.K. for surgery to repair the damage the bullet caused to her brain. She is now back at school and continues to be an activist for every child’s right to education.
3. Today is her 16th birthday. And because she’s so awesome and fearless the United Nations has declared it Malala Day! She just gave her first public speech about the importance of universal education at the U.N. headquarters in New York.
Happy Birthday #Malala! Looking forward to hearing about your speech today at the @UN #YouthAssembly! http://t.co/bKgZ39ydXC
- Former British prime minister Tony Blair says there are elements of the Brexit debate "happening the world over."
- Uber documents provided to BuzzFeed News suggest that price cuts don't always raise driver wages 🚗💸
- President Barack Obama declared a major disaster in West Virginia after at least 23 people were killed in flash floods.