All of #NDO4SA, prohibiting discrimination on basis of sexual orientation, gender identify and veteran status, passes 8-3./ Via
TX Democratic Party
RT @dallasdemocrats: San Antonio joins other Texas cities in adopting a non-discrimination ordinance. #NDO4SA
Historic moment for San Antonio. #LGBT rights supporters stand up and cheer after vote. Blue shirts silent. #NDO4SA/ Via
A great SA victory against discrimination. Will join 7p celebration at Sparkyâ€™s. #ndo4sa/ Via
Over two weeks, more than 1,200 citizens voiced their opinions to the city council with nearly 700 people signing up to speak to the city leaders at the “Citizens to be Heard” session in City Hall. On Thursday, after three hours of heated citizen debates for and against the ordinance, the city council passed it 8 to 3 to loud cheers from the red side of the chambers and silence from those all those wearing blue.
Video of the council vote.
7. The ordinance will provide better protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people by including sexual orientation and gender identity as banned reasons for discriminating against people in public accommodations, housing and city employment.
Thank you, @JulianCastro for being supportive of the #NDO4SA and equality for members of the LGBT community!! I’m proud to be in SA!/ Via
8. San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro spoke Thursday about how the ordinance would ensure that there are “no second-class citizens in San Antonio.”
. @JulianCastro: “This is a city that belongs to everyone. This ord. is abt saying there are no 2nd clas citizens in San Antonio.” #NDO4SA/ Via
Mayor Castro: With this ordinance, whether you’re white/black, Christian/Jew, gay/straight, San Antonio belongs to you #KSATnews #NDO4SA/ Via
Wow, thanks to everyone who has worked on this from the start to the finish. Equality won out over bigotry. #NDO4SA/ Via
Inside chambers in support of an inclusive #ndo4sa.
Brace yourself, San Antonio. Today’s the day for #ndo4sa
#NDO4SA so glad I was able to protest in favor of lgbt rights!
The line to council chambers for citizens heard #LGBT non-discrimination ordinance debate stretches 2 blocks: #ndo4sa
In front of chambers, we are reminded that love has no gender. #NDO4SA
Photo of red-clad NDO supporters protesting outside. Signs read “Vote Yes!” and “How Will You Be Remembered?” #NDO4SA
Among the council members who voted against the ordinance was Elisa Chan, a Republican councilwoman whose earlier controversial remarks against the LGBT community included calling homosexuality “disgusting,” and saying that homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt.
@Elisa_Chan, Ivy Taylor & @CarltonSoules voted against LGBT protections. Chan & Soules voted against adding vet status protections #NDO4SA/ Via
21. Opponents of the ordinance argued that it violated their religious freedom and their right to speak out against a way of life that went against their religious views and the morals of their faith.
Opponents of #NDO4SA will begin collecting signatures today for council members that voted yes. Heard several yells of recall #KSATnews/ Via
Jessica W. Luther
“I know this NDO will pass but can’t we *at least* be discriminatory to trans people?” - Councilman Soules, basically #NDO4SA/ Via
- The Colombia government and FARC rebels have signed a historic peace deal, ending 52 years of armed conflict.
- And no, people aren't drilling headphone jacks into their new iPhone 7's 📱❌