2. Richard Dawkins, the English etiologist, evolutionary biologist, and angry tweeter, on Sunday complained about airport security confiscating his little jar of honey.
Bin Laden has won, in airports of the world every day. I had a little jar of honey, now thrown away by rule-bound dundridges. STUPID waste.
3. In case you’re unfamiliar with the word “dundridges.”
“Dundridge” is a coining I am trying to introduce into English. It means a petty, bossy, bureaucratic little rule-hound.
5. Some people defended airport security rules.
@RichardDawkins You could have just read the rules properly and not kept it in your hand luggage…
6. Dawkins’ response to such people was:
Of course I know the airport security rules. My point is those rules are stupid advertising displays of dundridge zeal. Bin Laden has won.
7. Some people told him the confiscated honey was not terrorism-related.
@RichardDawkins It’s an FDA thing, nothing to do with terrorism. #beekeeper
8. One person offered him a solution to get honey past security.
@RichardDawkins You can get honey through security by smearing it onto your body & scraping it back into a jar later at your destination.
10. Dawkins appeared increasingly frustrated by people who seemed to focus on the honey issue.
Do you idiots seriously think I give a damn about my stupid honey? It’s the PRINCIPLE I care about. Get it? Principle, not honey, principle.
Are you carpers really too thick to see the difference between a matter of general principle and a petty concern with a single jar of honey?
13. Others tweeted at him with examples of what airport security had taken from them.
14. Eyebrow tweezers.
Fred Phelps is gay..
@GottschalkMart @RichardDawkins They took my eyebrow tweezers off me, I still wonder how I was supposed to hijack a plane with those?
15. Fingernail clippers.
@VKateMitchell @RichardDawkins @GottschalkMart they let me keep my fingernail clippers only after demilitarizing by breaking off the file.
16. A jar of marmite.
@RichardDawkins A jar of Marmite (for my son in Berlin) was my gleefully, lip-smackingly confiscated weapon of choice… #binladenhaswon
17. Little boy’s plastic water gun.
Elspeth A Gardner
@Trillian_01 @RichardDawkins 0ur 6yr old had a brightly coloured plastic water gun ripped off his comic, then binned. He was distraught.
18. Breast milk.
@RichardDawkins Follow @schneierblog’s brilliant stuff on “security theatre”. At least you weren’t told to drink your own breast milk (yup).
19. A bottle of Gaviscon. (Heartburn medicine.)
@Trillian_01 @RichardDawkins i recently lost a bottle of gaviscon in case i blew up a plane with it