1. Iranian Presiden Hassan Rouhani wished all Jews, “especially Iranian Jews,” a blessed Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. The tweet was from what appears to be his English account.
As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.
2. Rouhani, Iran’s seventh president, is known for his skills as a diplomat and a mediator. He is a Shiite Muslim cleric and was arrested several times in the 1960 and ’70s as a follower of the Ayatollah.
3. Reactions to his tweet ranged from surprise and sarcasm to pleasant and hopeful.
LOL RT @HassanRouhani: As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah./ Via
Oh. Um. Wow? â€œ@HassanRouhani: As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.â€/ Via
@HassanRouhani @acarvin I love this bespoke blessing for the 5 remaining Iranian Jews who are not in jail and free to walk around/ Via
@HassanRouhani shana tova from tel aviv (:/ Via
@HassanRouhani Shana Tova from Israel, Mr. President. Come visit us sometime./ Via
@negarmortazavi I like this man! Do you reallysee change in the next couple of months- ofcourse assuming god willing, west reciprocates?/ Via
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- Women are arguing about whether people who are anti-abortion rights should participate in the upcoming Women's March.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- People are melting after a girl shared photos of her pitbull on Twitter in order to speak out against laws banning the animal 🐶😭