1. The majority of people in seven predominantly Muslim countries prefer women to completely cover their hair, and not necessarily their face, in public according to a recent survey conducted by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research.
Pew Research Center
How people in Muslim countries prefer women to dress in public http://t.co/FF4sRH46fK
5. Here are the individual results of each country:
6. Saudi Arabia: Most appropriately dressed is woman #2. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
In Saudi Arabia, 69% of respondents chose woman #2 as the most appropriate form of dressing for a woman.
Compared to other countries, more respondents in Saudi Arabia (11%) chose the most conservatively-dressed woman as the appropriate way to dress.
7. Pakistan: Most appropriately dressed is woman #2 and #3. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
In Pakistan, there was a split between woman #2 (32%) whose hijab exposed only the eyes, and woman #3 (31%), whose hair and ears are completely covered.
Nearly a quarter (24%) chose woman #4.
8. Iraq: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
Fifty-five respondents in Iraq chose woman #4 with the more liberal white hijab as the most appropriately dressed, while its conservative counterpart, #3, was the second most popular choice.
9. Egypt: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
In Egypt, 52% of respondents believed woman #4 in the white hijab to be most appropriately dressed.
Only 1% chose the woman who is completely covered, while 4% chose the one who is without a headdress.
10. Tunisia: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
Woman #4 also got the most votes in Tunisia (57%).
More Tunisian respondents voted for woman #5 (23%) in her colorful headscarf than any other country’s respondents.
Woman #2 and #3 got only 2% and 3% of the votes respectively.
11. Turkey: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
Woman #4 was the most appropriately dressed for 46% of respondents in Turkey, while 32% chose the hijab-less woman #6.
Last year, Turkey lifted a generations-old ban on women wearing the Islamic headscarf in state institutions.
Turkey was the only country where not a single respondent chose woman #1 as appropriately dressed.
12. Lebanon: Most appropriately dressed is woman #6. Least appropriately dressed is woman #2.
In Lebanon, woman #6 who was without any headscarf, was chosen by 49% of respondents. Second most popular choice was woman #4.
- Oops: "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳⁉️
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be Secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," "Big Love," and "Aliens."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — it has been reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲