2. Here are some of those tweets:
I’ve decided to enter the that BBC TV singing contest for schizophrenics - The Voices./ Via
My mate Jim says i’m schizophrenic, which is weird because I don’t have a mate called Jim./ Via
When one door closes, another one opens. Jeeze… I hate this OCD./ Via
Being popular online is like sitting at the cool table in the canteen… In a mental hospital./ Via
The first rule of OCD club is that there must be a second rule, so we have an even number of rules./ Via
8. Naturally, people did not take too kindly to his tweets.
…@ciarnanhelferty another joke at the expense of people with mental illness. What is your problem?/ Via
@ciarnanhelferty Maybe you should delete these offensive and childish tweets #fuckwit/ Via
@ciarnanhelferty Very saddened, shocked & disappointed to read your tweets - as Chair of AIUK I would have expected better! #MH is no joke!/ Via
I can’t believe that a man like @ciarnanhelferty is chair of @AmnestyUK. Aren’t they embarrassed?/ Via
12. Helferty, who has been with AIUK for five years, stepped down as chairman and publicly apologized for his jokes.
Understand the concern and apologies for any offence or embarrassment caused by my poor choice of humour./ Via
13. Sarah O’Grady, the vice-chairman of AIUK responded to his resignation with a letter to the organization’s activists.
Ciarnan’s comments are incongruent with the policy and aims of Amnesty International.
In resigning, Ciarnan has demonstrated personal integrity and responsibility. His actions also emphasise that remarks of this nature are not appropriate for someone leading an organisation at the forefront of the human rights debate.
- The US Department of Justice will keep defending Muslims under Donald Trump, top Obama administration officials said Monday.
- The UK prison service is suppressing evidence of corruption among its guards, fueling violence behind bars.
- Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, and YouTube are teaming up to target and remove terrorist content on their platforms 💻📌
- Nordstrom is selling a stone wrapped in a leather case for $85 and people are…confused ⁉️😂