7. The Arab mascot was chosen in the 1920s as a tribute to the East Valley’s reliance on date farming; dates are traditionally Middle-Eastern crops.
Over the years, the mascot transformed from a turbaned horseman with a lance, to a man wearing a fez and carrying a sword, to today’s “angry Arab” with a heavy beard and a gold tooth. The “angry Arab,” designed in the 1950s, was meant to reflect the “fearsome front” for the football team, one of the directors of the alumni association told The Desert Sun.
8. Although the ADC acknowledged the “context” in which the nickname was originally selected, the letter said that “in the 21st Century, such justifications for these actions are no longer tolerable.”
Art Montoya, 74, a director of the alumni association, told The Desert Sun that the context of the design had faded and understood how the “cartoon character” could be seen as offensive today.
He said, “Times are changing, and we have to understand that. I think they need to look at it again. If they want to keep that Arab name, they need to make it a bit more acceptable. Only, I don’t know what that would look like. I don’t know how you could make a face that would be acceptable to everyone in the world.”
11. At the annual Riverside County Fair & National Date Festival, girls dress as Arabian princesses and participate in the Queen Scheherazade Scholarship Pageant.
According the pageant’s application form, “One queen and two princesses make up the ‘court’ for the Riverside County Fair & National Date Festival. The highly visible court acts as the goodwill ambassadors for this event and makes many public promotional appearances during the year-long reign. Queen Scheherazade and her court must be poised, congenial, relaxed with the public, and eager to represent the Riverside County Fair & National Date Festival and Riverside County.”
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎