Everyone has his own story to tell about memory lapses. One steps outside the house for something, and forgets why. Another recalls an embarrassing time when he forgets the name of his boss during introductions. Still another seems to be always losing his car keys.
TalkShop offers the following memory booster tips:
1. Exercise. One does not have to hit the gym to work out. A brisk walk around the block will do. The oxygen supplied to the brain after exercise boosts memory and attention span. It is best to aim for a 30-minute routine at least 3 times a week.
2. Take care of your back. Do not lug around a heavy stuff. Those who suffer from back pain lose up to 1.5 cubic centimeter of their gray matter. The area of the brain that copes with back pain is affected, hampering one’s decision-making process. Correct this with the use of ergonomic chairs, a must in the workplace. Do exercises that support the back muscles.
3. Get enough sleep. One who is sleep-deprived cannot function at his peak. His creativity, critical-thinking and problem solving skills are compromised. Most function well with 7-8 hours of sleep.
4. Relationships. Have a life. Strong family and support system aid in brain health. Those that have a healthy social life have the slowest rate of memory decline.
5. Eat a brain-boosting diet. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, sunflower and squash seeds, whole grains, and lean proteins are recommended.
6. Green Tea. Rather than reach for a soda, drink green tea. This contains polyphenols – powerful anti-oxidants that fight free radicals.
7. Laughter. Let loose a bit and laugh. It engages the brain, helping one to feel good and think better.
8. Pray. The peace that ensues puts one in a better position to concentrate, learn, and reason out.
9. Red wine. Within limit, red wine boosts blood flow in the brain, and cuts the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
10. Use it or lose it. Exercise your brain by reading assorted books, visiting new places, playing a musical instrument.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Uber finally laid out hard rules for riders: No guns, sex, or barfing, please 🚗❌