1. You feel you’re marketing to a horde of zombies.
2. Your single version of the truth is multiple-versions-of-a-lie.
3. You’re under attack from the clones.
4. You’re being crowded out by the Nearly Men.
5. You keep seeing old friends for the first time.
6. Huge positives send you into shock.
7. Your intern dragged-and-dropped a tad enthusiastically.
8. You notice contacts with dubious backgrounds.
9. The conversation’s a bit freeform.
10. Your boss says data cleaning is everyone’s job!
So we're agreed: cleaning data can be a thankless task. Amazingly, there are some people out there who actually enjoy it. (Or at least enjoy applying their smarts to the problem.) Before you seek professional help, remember these pointers:
- Half the battle is maintaining a single database, in a single place
- Treat your database as a living organism that needs feeding, not a static list
- Using metadata properly can fully describe each Contact record, increasing its value
Data, schmata! Check out the Modern Marketing Essentials Guide to Data Management