Recently, some Twitter users have been memeing these post-breakup pics of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson and they've gone pretty viral:
Saying stuff like...
And TBH, it's made me think a lot about men and how we, as a society, treat their mental health:
So what I'm wondering is, what should we know about men's mental health, and how should we change how we talk about it?
1. The most common issues men deal with are self-control, self-esteem, and relationships.
2. Men are often aware that "something is off" with them, but they won't recognize that "something" as a mental illness.
3. Men tend to suppress emotion whereas women tend to express emotion.
4. Men tend to only talk about their problems after they've reached a conclusion.
5. Communication in relationships can be a major struggle for them.
6. Many men may turn to drugs, alcohol, and/or porn because they cause them to physically and emotionally detach.
7. Men tend to see busyness as a badge of honor.
8. Saying things like "be a man" and "man up" are harmful and just plain confusing.
9. One-on-one therapy is intimidating for many men.
10. We often put too much emphasis on men's behavior and not their underlying issues.
11. Talking with other men about their stress can be helpful.
12. Journaling helps many men organize their thoughts while providing them with good structure.
13. Recently, more men are exploring the benefits of meditation, yoga, and spirituality.
14. The saying, "Men have two emotions: Fine or mad," is a common misconception.
15. At the end of the day, men just want to be "good enough."
If you or someone you love is struggling with mental health, here are some quick resources:
• You can learn more about starting therapy here since pretty much everyone can benefit from talking to a professional.
• You can learn more about mental illnesses here.
• Here are little ways to be less anxious in general and here are some self-care tips.
• And if you need to talk to someone immediately, the US National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. A list of international suicide hotlines can be found here.