1. Each year, Phi Gamma Delta at UCI hosts an annual party, “FIJI ISLANDER”
3. Phi Gamma Delta’s official nickname is FIJI. Apparently, this nickname should take precedence over FIJI THE PEOPLE. FIJI THE ETHNICITY. FIJI THE CULTURE.
SINCE WHEN DID A HISTORICALLY WHITE MALE INSTITUTION SUPERCEDE ENTIRE COMMUNITIES AND CULTURES?
4. This event made folks in the community angry.
5. Why? Because CULTURAL APPROPRIATION.
Because “Islander Princess” is definitely not a gendered and racial stereotype
Cultural appropriation at last year’s FIJI Islander event. Body paint. Face paint. Grass skirts.
7. The president of the fraternity was notified of the community’s concerns yet the party went on. What did he do? Notify the attendees through an *effective* and *clear* facebook post. So articulate.
8. The event went on as planned. Cultural appropriation dehumanizes individuals, communities, histories, and cultures.
12. Some partygoers were kind enough to give their middle fingers at the peaceful protestors.
Unfortunately it was not captured on camera.
13. Fiji is a place. It is a community. It is home. It is NOT a party theme. It is NOT a costume. One attendee claimed the theme was actually “Hawaiian”.
14. Phi Gamma Delta is RACIST. Join us as we challenge the fraternity and UCI to address the blatant displays of racism at UC Irvine.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!