Skip To Content

    9 New Facts That Prove Hollywood Has A Diversity Problem

    Shit is bleak, y'all.

    The USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism released a revealing report on diversity in entertainment this week. Here are the most jaw-dropping stats that show little has changed. (Spoiler alert: Television is less diverse than we thought.)

    1. There were far more speaking roles for men than there were for women in both film and television.

    Walt Disney

    Men made up 71.3% of all speaking roles in film, leaving 28.7% of speaking roles on the big screen for women.

    The numbers for television weren't that much better. On broadcast networks, women filled only 36.4% of speaking roles; on cable programming, 37.3%; and on streaming, 38.1%. That's pretty bleak, considering we all thought television was more diverse than film.

    2. At least half or more of all cinematic, TV, or streaming stories failed to depict one speaking or named Asian or Asian-American on screen.


    It's not that hard, people. Master of None's main cast alone includes two Asian-American characters!

    3. The majority of characters of color with speaking parts in film were male.

    Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

    Specifically, 65.6%.

    4. Only 2% of the speaking characters surveyed identified as LGBT.

    The Weinstein Company

    And of all the LGBT characters surveyed, the vast majority were male (72.1%) and white (78.9%).

    5. Only about a quarter of TV shows were created by women.

    Comedy Central

    Less than a quarter, if we're being precise. On broadcast networks, 22% of shows were created by women, 22.3% on cable channels, and 25% on streaming series.

    6. Sexualization of women was rampant across all platforms. Female characters were more likely to be shown in "sexy attire," or in partial or full nudity than their male counterparts.

    Paramount Pictures

    Of all the characters the study surveyed, only 7.6% of characters shown in "sexy attire" were male. More films like Magic Mike XXL, plz.

    7. There were few women directors in both film and television.

    Astrid Stawiarz / Getty Images

    We knew women directors had it rough in the film industry, but television wasn't much better. Only 3.4% of film directors were female, while in the realm of TV and digital series, broadcast had the highest percentage of women directors with 17.1%; cable had 15.1%; and streaming had 11.8%. But still, those are sad numbers.

    8. Across all media platforms, there were way more white directors than there were directors who were people of color.

    Jemal Countess / Getty Images

    In film, 87.3% of directors were white, and 12.7% were not. But the disparity in television was just as bad, if not worse than in film: On broadcast networks, 90.4% were white directors, and only 9.6% of directors were people of color. On cable programs, it was 83.2% versus 16.8%.

    9. Middle age and elderly women were rarely shown onscreen.


    Men filled 73.45% of roles depicting characters 40 years of age or older, leaving women with 25.7%. Film was least likely to depict older women, and streaming was most likely.