1. "The Ascendancy of the 'Awkward Older Sister'" — The Atlantic
2. "Yoko Ono and the Myth That Deserves to Die" — Vulture
3. "What Baltimore’s Young People Have to Say About ‘Thug’" — BuzzFeed Ideas
4. "Chinese Whisperers" — The Awl
5. "The Inconsistent Acceptance of Black Beauty" — Huffington Post
6. "What Shonda Taught Me About Being a Woman" — The Toast
7. "Anna Kendrick Vs. the Hollywood Type Machine" — BuzzFeed Ideas
Want to read more? Here are some other essays BuzzFeed published this week.
Shannon Reed wrote a humorous piece on the 10 (really specific) compliments she wishes she'd received throughout her life. Nikesh Shukla wrote about cooking chapatti, a dish he grew up with, and how that experience brought his mother back to life. And finally, Anne Helen Petersen paid tribute to Betty Draper, the difficult woman on Mad Men.
Susan Cheng is an entertainment reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Susan Cheng at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.