1. "Caring for My Mother With Alzheimer’s Gave Me the Best Birthday I Ever Had" — BuzzFeed Ideas
2. "Summer Heat" — The New Inquiry
3. "What Do Muslim Women Need?" — Hazlitt
4. "How an Atheist Answered Her Daughter’s Question About God" — BuzzFeed Ideas
5. "I Got Maced at Summer Jam 2015" — The New Yorker
6. "When You ‘Literally Can’t Even’ Understand Your Teenager" — The New York Times Magazine
7. "Even Black Joy Is a Crime" — Dame Magazine
Want to read more? Here are some other essays BuzzFeed published this week.
Sarah Jones wrote about how TLC's fundamentalism-as-kitsch hurts women. Lucy McKeon recalled her brief career as a waitress dominatrix. Nell Zink explained why cultural significance is the best job ever. Mira Jacob documented and illustrated 37 difficult questions from her mixed-race son. Blanca Fernandez, a manicurist, explains why she's suing the salon where she worked for six years. Chelsea Martin wrote a funny essay about losing a tooth at work. Daniel Dalton wrote a hilarious guide to the 21st century for straight white men. And finally, for BuzzFeed UK's Carers Issue, professional carers and family members spoke honestly about the reality of what they do.
Susan Cheng is an entertainment reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Susan Cheng at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.