BuzzFeed Brazil asked our readers and writers about the moment when they first realized they identified as feminists. Here's what they said:
Responses have been edited for length and clarity.
1. "I noticed that because I was a woman, I wasn't considered as much of a soccer fan as the boys."
2. "The turning point came when I went through my hairstyle transition and stopped straightening my hair."
3. "I realized that living as I want to is already in itself a feminist stance."
4. "I discovered that all of those feelings of outrage, sadness, and a sense of injustice were my feminism."
5. "I saw the video 'Don't take off your red lipstick' by JoutJout and realized I was a giant fucking feminist."
6. "I finally stopped practicing one of the worst things that society and adolescence encourages: female rivalry."
7. "Only many, many years later, when an anti-street harassment campaign really turned my head around."
8. "Living around chauvinistic brutes — and quite a few chauvinistic women too."
9. "Until really late in life, I thought that a feminist couldn't like 'girly' things."
10. "One day it sunk in. Of course being a woman sucks."
11. "My first college friend walked through the door telling stories about the number of sexual partners she'd had."
12. "When I was a child, equality just seemed like common sense to me. As an adult, I realized that this was called feminism. "
13. "The other person replied, 'Yea, she is the mother. It's her responsibility, not his.' And I felt an anger coming from some unknown place."
14. "I was really outraged when I saw that the song was about a guy complaining that Marina had put on makeup."
Leave your own story in the comments below!
This post was translated from Portuguese.