1. Sen. Wendy Davis of Fort Worth began her filibuster at a special session of the Texas legislature. She began at 11:18 a.m. CST.
3. Meanwhile: Tens of thousands of people, in and out of the state of Texas, began watching the Texas Tribune live stream of the filibuster.
If you’re not watching the Texas Senate Livestream you’re really missing something. #StandWithWendy http://t.co/B3kZCRXLQm
5. Barack Obama’s official Twitter account got over 9,000 retweets.
Something special is happening in Austin tonight: http://t.co/RpbnCbO6zw #StandWithWendy
6. Texas history was being made.
Holographic Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan and Molly Ivins now hovering over Texas legislature.
7. The infamous Jill Biden parody account weighed in as well.
Dr. Jill Biden
At 12:01 AM, CT, I predict Wendy Davis will give us the best mic drop the World has ever seen. #StandWithWendy
8. Certain themes began to emerge: Aaron Sorkin.
This Texas Legislature Filibuster Scene is the best thing Aaron Sorkin has ever written. #StandwithWendy
Real talk though, how is Aaron Sorkin going to ruin this narrative in a few months?
10. Friday Night Lights, which was filmed in Austin, was also popular inspiration.
Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can’t lose. #standwithwendy
If Connie Britton plays Wendy Davis in the movie, the guy who played Buddy Garity has to be Kirk Watson, right? #sb5 #standwithwendy
16. In Texas law, filibusters have to consist of content germane to the discussion, but that didn’t stop people from wishing that Wendy could read something else.
Dr. Jill Biden
I wish Wendy Davis was allowed to read Game of Thrones to us. #StandWithWendy
The Night Stalker
Wendy Davis is the watchful protector of reproductive rights. #standwithwendy
20. When Sen. Davis received “three strikes” and the filibuster looked to be over, #LetHerSpeak became a trending topic as well.
21. As the Senate debated, “germaneness” became central to the discussion.
I’d love to see rulings regarding Jermainess. http://t.co/csWQQeADx7 #buhdumbum #sb5 #standwithwendy #standwithtito
I’m just glad that the work of Germaine Greer is so central to the Texas Senate debate. Right?
24. Jokes were still flying as Texas senators endlessly debated the rules of the filibuster.
So, it turns out, if its a LEGITIMATE filibuster … a man has a way of shutting it down. #sb5 #standwithwendy
25. Patton Oswalt tweeted this scene from The Bad News Bears.
26. Voldemort got in on it.
The Dark Lord
Wendy Davis is a Gryffindor.
27. With less than an hour to go before midnight, when the bill would be killed, Wendy was still standing.
Davis still standing as she listens to @KirkPWatson defend her efforts. Calls it the most scrutinized #filibuster.
28. Over 137,000 people were watching the Texas Tribune live stream at this point.
29. With approximately 10 minutes to go, Democratic Texas Sen. Leticia Van De Putte insisted that she had not been heard over the men in the room, saying…
(Van De Putte had buried her father earlier in the day but insisted that she would not miss the end of the filibuster or any vote that might occur.)
31. With five minutes to go before midnight…
32. No network, cable or otherwise, was showing the proceedings that had the internet enraptured.
You literally cannot produce television this riveting and no television network is showing it.
33. CNN was discussing blueberry muffins.
History is being made in #Texas, while @CNN talks about blueberry muffins. LITERALLY. @cleveil1 @ElizSimins #sb5
35. With 30 seconds to go…
36. Although Wendy Davis was no longer speaking, #standwithwendy was still a trending topic.
what kind of chair would you want if you were wendy
37. Davis’ Wikipedia page got an edit.
I can’t stop laughing this Wendy Davis Wikipedia page edit #standwithwendy
38. Around 12:02 a.m. CT, the Senate took a vote and “passed” the bill, with several news outlets reporting it had gone through even though it was minutes after midnight.
What confuses Texas Republicans:
3) Clocks #StandWithWendy
42. Around 2:30 a.m. CT, it was announced that due to the time stamps on the Senate record, the bill was dead.
Sen. Davis took a seat.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪