1. The first pic that made Venus a star
Venus is most likely a “chimera” — an animal composed of two populations of genetically distinct cells that originated from different zygotes. This means one would have two different sets of DNA. She is also, relatedly, heterochromatic — her eyes are two different colors.
Venus’s mom found her via facebook, when one of her friends posted pictures of a stray kitten litter at a dairy farm in North Carolina. She immediately took to Venus because she already had two cats — an orange tabby and a black tuxedo cat — and Venus looked like a perfect split between the two. She called the farm’s owner immediately and her husband flew to NC to get her — flying her back in a carrier sitting on his lap.
The family named Venus for the goddess of beauty and love. Her mom says that she is “as sweet as can be….gentle, loving, and has this little tiny kitten like meow even though she is 3 now.”
Venus is very small — she’s fully grown, but she actually only weighs five pounds. Her owner wrote on facebook “She is such a wonderful cat and I’d be just as in love with her even if she wasn’t so pretty. Her personality is as beautiful as her outside is.” All together now: awwwww.
11. And at last, Venus on video!
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.