1. The absolute best, most relatable band-aid for any broken heart is Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity.
“As the songs say, breaking up is hard to do. And whether you’re the dumper or the dumped, you should never go through it alone. Ideally, you need your hand held by a friend who has also been battered and bruised by relationship bust-ups and knows how it feels. We offer you the hand of Rob, the music-mad hero of Nick Hornby’s paean to pop, High Fidelity. In our list of all-time best breakup novels, this holds the number one spot. For though the vinyl may have dated, the experience, the emotions, and the truths have not.”
2. But one book isn’t going to get you through a breakup. You’ll also need This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz.
3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
4. Important Artifacts and Personal Property From The Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, And Jewelry by Leanne Shapton
5. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
6. The End Of The Story by Lydia Davis
7. Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman
8. The Love Of My Youth by Mary Gordon
9. Heartburn by Nora Ephron
10. The End Of The Affair by Graham Greene
From THE NOVEL CURE: From Abandonment to Zestlessness: 751 Books to Cure What Ails You by Ella Berthoud and Susan Elderkin. Reprinted by arrangement of The Penguin Press A Division of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2013 by Ella Berthoud and Susan Elderkin.
- And we asked tourists and locals in Nice, France, what the burkini ban means to them.