As the Tigers readied themselves for their series with the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium, the outfielder they acquired last year was out on the town. Delmon Young was arrested early Friday morning and it’s not clear when he will return to the team.
Young’s attorney is Daniel Ollen, whose website reports the following results under the heading “assault”:
- Won full acquittal after trial for client charged with breaking his girlfriend’s wrist during an argument.
- Won full acquittal after trial for police officer charged with assault in off-duty incident.
- Won full acquittal after trial for client charged with shooting New York City police officer.
- Won full acquittal after trial for stockbroker charged in bar brawl.
- Won full acquittal after trial for client charged with robbing and shooting court clerk in Manhattan.
- Won full acquittal after trial for client charged with assaulting Suffolk County police officer.
New York police spokesman Joseph Cavitolo told the Detroit Free Press that a confrontation began around 2:30 a.m., after a group of men spoke with a panhandler. Delmon Young, allegedly drunk, exchanged words with the men. According to Cavitolo, Young said, “You bunch of f—-ing Jews.” He then pushed one of the men, tackled him to the ground, and then followed the man into the hotel’s lobby. Young was then arrested, and had to be sent to a nearby hospital due to his level of intoxication.
Young has been released on a $5,000 bond and has apologized, although without specifically addressing the assault charges: “I sincerely regret what happened last night. I apologize to everyone I affected, the Ilitch family, the Detroit Tigers’ organization, my teammates, my family and the great Tigers fans that have supported me since Day One. I take this matter very seriously, and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player.”
- Trump gave a speech in Gettysburg, PA that was billed as a major policy address. He mainly focused on his usual grievances 🔴
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 👌