This week, a Reddit thread asked users, "What is one 'unwritten rule' you think everyone should know and follow?"
The thread quickly went viral, as people started sharing all the unspoken — but VERY IMPORTANT — rules all should abide by. Here are some of the best:
1. "Don't ask for something if the person only has one left — gum, cigarette, piece of cake etc."
2. "If you use up all of the toilet paper, you go refill it."
3. "Don’t mess up an apology with an excuse."
4. "Buy a plunger before you need a plunger."
5. "Do not swipe left or right if someone shows you a photo on their phone."
6. "Pee first. No matter what you're doing, pee first."
7. "If you borrow someone's car, fill up the tank before you return it."
8. "Leave it in a better condition than you found it."
9. "When out to dinner with a group, only the person who ordered the least expensive meal/combo of things can offer to split the check evenly."
10. "Don’t put your music on speakers when in a public space. It’s not like everyone wants the same genre or was in the mood for music. Get your headphones."
11. "Keep toilet stalls tidy after using them. It amazes me how people can cause utter devastation in there and then walk away!"
12. "You can be wrong. It isn't a bad thing, either. And when you are wrong, acknowledge it, and learn from it. You don't need to dig down in your beliefs to try and comfort yourself because you can't handle not being right all the time."
13. "Don't start drama at a funeral."
14. "Chew with your mouth closed. Shocks me how many adults I see chewing with their mouth open."
15. "Never make fun of someone else's laugh, be it how they sound or how they look. Laughing is the most natural expression of joy and happiness and for someone to feel self-conscious about that because of other's comments is so brutal."
16. "Don’t leave your shopping cart in the middle of the grocery aisle!"
17. "If you're borrowing it for a third time, you need one of your own."
18. "If you have to cancel on a friend, it is your responsibility to reschedule."
19. "Don't propose at someone else's wedding."
20. "Do not vape when in a space where you are not permitted to smoke."
21. "Turn on your headlights when it's snowing. I'm talking to you, asshole with the white truck."
22. "Don't look through the fucking gap of bathroom stalls."
23. "If there's space, always leave at least a one urinal gap between you and another fellow urinal-user."
24. "Be kind to people that are working. Food staff, medical staff, etc. Don’t take your bad day out on someone else."
25. "OFF BEFORE ON. Let the people off the elevator and train before you get on."
26. "Walk on the same side of the stairs/sidewalk that you would drive on."
27. "Walk on the left side of the escalator, stand on the right."
28. "Show the same respect for everyone. Whether they write your paycheck or clean the floors. We are all people."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.