As a loud 'n proud homosexual myself, I am FREQUENTLY disturbed by how many things my straight male friends are afraid of doing, simply because they don't want to seem "gay."
Case in point: Yesterday, a Reddit thread asked users, "What are the things every man should at least try even though they are stigmatized as 'gay' or 'unmanly'?"
The thread quickly went viral, as thousands of straight men started sharing the stereotypically "gay" things they secretly enjoy doing. Their conversation was an eye-opening reminder that 1) Stereotyping things as "gay" is dumb and meaningless, and 2) Masculinity is WAY too fragile these days.
So without further ado, here are some things that all straight guys should do, "gay" stereotypes be damned:
1. "Manicures and pedicures. The women in there are (usually) really nice and it feels amazing. As someone who bites their nails constantly, they also make me not want to bite them because my nails look so good."
2. "Sewing. I'm the seamstress (seammaster?) for my family. Fixing clothing and making curtains, etc. can be just as useful as fixing a car, and comes in handy more frequently!"
3. "Having friends and doing things with them. Most people I know, if they have friends at all, they're either work buddies, or family get-togethers. But a couple of guys being friends and leaving the wives to go on a camping trip, etc. just seems weird [to some people]."
4. "Skincare. I don't understand why it's so gendered... It's skin, is an important human organ, and actually not that different in needs between men and women."
5. "Going to the spa. Dick or no dick, we all deserve to be pampered every once in awhile."
6. "Keeping a diary. You’ll become more reflective and more productive as a result."
7. "Washing your ass."
9. "Quality hugs for your bros. Don’t do the ol’ shoulders touch and pat on the back. Grab your friend and give them a hug!"
10. "Wearing a mask, apparently...(at least here in Texas)."
11. "Cooking. Fucking hell, don’t rely on others for something you need everyday. Deliveries and take-aways are expensive, and it’s really really satisfying when you whip up something and it’s delicious."
12. "Baths. When my husband and I first started dating, I turned him onto the magic of baths. We did face masks and bath bombs (which he really thought would explode) and bath salts (which he was worried would make him a zombie). Now he drags me into Lush and asks if after our date nights we can take a bath."
13. "Cocktails. They're delicious, and I've found that some of the tastiest come in the daintiest glasses and have effeminate/flirty names — Pink Passion, Sex on the Beach, etc. — that aren't the 'manliest' to order."
14. "Yoga. At the very least, it's a form of exercise that builds balance, flexibility, and strength in each and every pose, is low-impact enough to be done until old age, but is challenging enough to build muscle."
16. "Moisturizing. Take care of your skin, boys."
17. "Self-care. Yo, since quarantine I’ve been: Doing face masks. Using a tinted sunscreen. Using a CeraVe face wash. Using actual shampoo and conditioner (not the combo garbage) and a leave-in. I’ve literally never felt better about my appearance. I’m sure I look the same, but just doing something makes me feel like I’m in control and am helping."
18. "Crying. Just let it out, guys. You can do it! Don’t apologize for it or hide it either."
19. "Telling your male friends you love them. Just at the end of high school my group had several deaths occur. Car accident, cancer, suicide, and a couple murders. Now in my current group we say 'love you' after most conversations. Some people think it's weird but fuck 'em. People aren't around forever. Better to let them know how you feel while you can."
20. "Having female friends that are just friends. Almost every one of my male friends only have other male friends. All the females in their life they're just trying to fuck or date."
21. "Y'all are not ready to hear this but: prostate orgasms. Get one of those toys made for that."
22. "Nice underwear. Underwear with a built-in pouch are super comfortable while supporting your genitals. Also the sexier cuts with less fabric are so much cooler... I’m a big dude working in manufacturing and I know you wouldn’t expect me to be wearing a thong most days."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.