Let's face it: Not ALL friendships are good and healthy ones. In fact, some friends can be pretty damn toxic — and it's easy to ignore the warning signs.
So this week, Reddit user u/dragonXgal posed a question to the internet: "What are red flags in a friendship most people brush away?"
The thread quickly went viral, as thousands of internet strangers came together to share their warning signs of a bad friendship. Here are some of the best:
1. "Being dismissive of all your interests and achievements. Meanwhile everything they do, no matter how mundane, is amazing."
2. "Always asking for favors but never there when you need them to return one."
3. "You see you got a private message from them and your gut reaction is to start getting nervous or anxious, like: 'What is it this time...'"
4. "Friends who gossip excessively. If they're talking about other people, chances are they're talking about you."
5. "They only talk to you when all of their other friends are gone."
6. "Friends who are always happy to talk about themselves but never once ask you how you're doing or anything about yourself."
7. "Having their damn phone in their face the whole time. If they do that, they don’t want a friend, they want company. It’s not the same."
8. "Inability or unwillingness to apologize when they do something wrong. It’s symptomatic of an ego issue that will eventually infect every aspect of your friendship."
9. "One-upper friends."
10. "Continually feeling like you want to say something but should hold your tongue."
11. "Conditional friendship. We’re friends until I question you in the slightest way, and if I do, the relationship is tanked."
12. "Friends who don’t let you have any other friends and require 100% of your time when they can’t give you the same."
13. "'Good vibes only' friends. That mentality is fine to have with yourself. But you can’t force that on others. My best friend adopted this attitude and from then on, whenever I would come to her for support or advice on an issue, she’d cut me off and say, 'Ah ah ah! Good vibes only, remember?' Because I was bringing her down."
14. "People who send you screenshots of private messages with other people. Guess what? Your private messages are being sent around too."
15. "When they cancel plans, they always do it last-minute."
16. "Friends who constantly call you for advice but never take it, and continue to involve you in their drama. If you're not going to make moves to improve your situation, stop asking me for help."
17. "Friends who aren't happy for your success and happiness, but are very close when you're sad."
18. "When you realize that you are more yourself when they're not around."
19. "They never say anything supportive of you. But they will point out your flaws and can't wait to burn you, because it's funny to them. And then they follow up with, 'You're too sensitive,' or 'It's just joking.'"
20. "Friends who are good to you one-on-one but constantly put you down in group settings. This is a big sign of insecurity/jealousy."
21. "When you can’t trust a damn word they say or any promise they make to you, you know you don’t have a good friend."
22. "If you think about them when you read this post."
So, what are YOUR biggest friendship red flags? Sound off in the comments.
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.