This week, just in time for New Year's, a viral Reddit thread asked users, "What’s something small you can start doing today to better yourself?"
The thread quickly blew up, as more and more people started sharing the simple little ways they've been able to better their lives.
So while we all know know that New Year's resolutions don't *always* work out the way we expect them to, here are 18 that people actually swear by:
1. "Make a budget and stick to it. It can change your life dramatically for the better."
2. "If it takes less than a few minutes to do something and you're doing absolutely nothing, DO IT."
3. "Give someone else a compliment at least once a day. It's as simple as noticing the guy next to you has a stylish tie or that your coworker's homemade lunch looks tasty. It'll make someone's day, and the effort required is so, so small."
4. "Spend five minutes picking up the room you are in. Do that two or three times a day and eventually you'll get into the habit of keeping things clean."
5. "Forgive your past self and learn from your previous mistakes."