2. The photos of Ashvonn Russell and her date, Johnny Auguste, were posted by Twitter user @CaptainPajamas over the weekend, and have since been retweeted more than 7,000 times.
3. The teen’s viral moment came as a result of a contest for “Best Entrance” at the dance, which was put on by a local Key Club for three different high schools on the Abaco Islands.
Russell told BuzzFeed News that she is an artist who likes to “think outside the box.”
“This is evident in all of my paintings and drawings, which are mostly inspired by fairy tales,” she said. “Sleeping Beauty with a modern twist captured my interest for my prom entrance.”
4. Some people said Russell totally slayed her prom entrance.
5. And lived every girl’s fantasy IRL.
6. Other people wondered where the hell she got the ambulance.
7. And said it was taking prom too far.
8. A local comedian named Sawyerboy even created a parody video about the entrance.
Some commenters who identified as local residents said they disapproved of the entrance, suggesting the ambulance should have been used for more serious matters.
One person named Vada Smith said she relies on ambulances to get to the hospital if necessary because she is in a wheelchair.
“I be home in pain waiting on them sometimes they don’t even come of (sic) they hours late but she made it to prom on time,” Smith wrote.
But the comedian wrote on Facebook that he actually liked the entrance.
“I think the idea was creative. Don’t get me wrong. I give it to the kids,” he said.
9. The fact that her entrance has spread across the world is “bittersweet,” Russell said, because she has been accused of being insensitive for using an ambulance in her home country.
“My hope for this theme was genuinely and solely to win best entrance by my unique style of entry and not for some of the negative attention and exposure it has received,” she said.
She added she has been hurt by criticism that her idea was offensive.
“For all the people of my great nation and around the world that I have offended, I apologize. It was not my intention to offend anyone,” she wrote.
Russell declined to share how she got the ambulance for the dance.
10. But Russell said she is proud of herself for having an original idea, and executing it with confidence. “I can never apologize for being artistic and creative because that’s what makes me who I am,” she said.
“To those that have creative minds like myself, do not let the negativity stop you,” she said. “Always dare to be different.”
- The Trump administration is reportedly considering a set of policies to prosecute parents who illegally enter the US with their children.
- Norma McCorvey, the woman behind the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade, has died in Texas at 69.
- Donald Glover has been cast as Simba in Disney's remake of "The Lion King."