2. Camden Hand of Tallahassee, Florida, donated the funds after his teachers told him another teacher, Betty Payne, needed money for treatment, his mom Christie told BuzzFeed News.
The school, Good Samaritan Academy, and parents have been raising money for Payne after she was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.
Christie Hand said that the school also sent home a letter to parents announcing the situation, and asking for donations.
The funds are meant to help the teacher with the costs of chemotherapy, which can cost her up to $700 per visit, according to WCTV.
“She has spent her whole life caring for young children, and now she needs our help,” one parent wrote on a GoFundMe campaign for Payne.
“He asked how much Ms. Betty needed and I replied, ‘a lot,” she said. “He said, ‘Well, I have a lot so she can have all of this.’”
Hand said she had received the piggy bank with money inside it at her son’s baby shower, and the family has collected money he has been given in it since he was born.
The grand total was $105.15, she said.
“I couldn’t do nothing but cry to be honest with you,” she said.
The school is a part of Good Samaritan Methodist Church in Tallahassee, which didn’t immediately return a request for comment from BuzzFeed News.
However, the school said on Facebook that the staff members are blessed to have such an amazing community.
“We have a special group of people here and we love our families and Ms. Betty so much,” the post said.
Hand said that she has always been proud of her son, but “that kind of wholehearted generosity by a four-year-old even surprised us.”
“[Camden] has no real concept of money but just knew that he had some and was willing to donate it all to someone else in need,” she said. “We are hoping that his generosity inspires others to donate to Ms. Betty.”
The boy’s mother is named Christie. A previous version of this story misstated her name.
- Politics in France were redrawn Sunday as pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen advanced to a runoff in the country's presidential election 🇫🇷
- Trump still hasn't taken a foreign trip. Obama traveled to nine countries and Bush had visited two at this same point in their presidencies.
- North Korea has arrested a third American citizen amid a dramatic escalation in tensions with the United States.
- Drag queens, puppies, and Lisa Rinna — BuzzFeed News got a behind the scenes look of "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen."