1. This is Steve Noviello, a journalist for Fox 4 in Dallas. Noviello is a consumer reporter and anchor who covers bargain hunting, money-saving tips, and more.
2. Over the weekend, Noviello went with a friend to a store called Nebraska Furniture Mart. While shopping, they stumbled across a weird pillow.
3. The pillows, called “Mermaid Pillows,” change colors when you “draw” on them with your hand. Noviello thought they were so weird, he decided to live stream his friend messing around with them on Facebook.
5. They had some fun making designs, and about 1,000 people tuned into the live stream. Noviello told BuzzFeed News they were surprised that many people watched the feed.
“We were blown away that many people would stop what they were doing on a Sunday afternoon to watch us goofing around with some pillow,” he said.
7. But it turns out, many more people were REALLY interested in the mermaid pillow. Since Noviello posted the video, it has been viewed more than 27 million times and has been shared by nearly a half million viewers.
8. And people are dying to get their hands on a mermaid pillow.
9. The reporter said he has gotten thousands of emails from women as far away as Iraq asking him where they can find one.
“People really seem to love them,” he said.
11. But if you are dying to get your hands on one of these pillows, it will cost you a pretty penny. The pillows are selling for the “everyday low price” of $149.99.
12. Though the store is capitalizing on its viral fame by offering to give some away on Facebook.
14. The reporter said he is shocked that after a long career in TV news, this is the most views he has ever had on a video.
“I’ve been a TV journalist for almost 20 years, I have six Emmys sitting on the shelf,” he said. “[And] the most watched piece of video that I will probably ever produce in my career is about some pillow.”