1. Trevor Harper and Davis Covin of Texas have been dating since 2006.
2. They also have been proud and active members of the First United Methodist Church of Austin for about two years.
3. The church is open to members of any sexual orientation. Harper said the support they have received has been a huge blessing to their relationship, especially as a gay couple in Texas.
“That church has been, for us, really the first time we have really been able to live out loud as a couple,” he told BuzzFeed News.
4. So when Harper decided he wanted to propose, he knew he wanted to do it in front of their church family.
10. Harper said that he began planning the proposal a few months ago with the help of his pastor, Rev. John Wright.
He said they thought it was an especially good idea because although Harper and Covin would love to get married in their church, they aren’t allowed. The United Methodist Church forbids same-sex ceremonies from being conducted in Methodist churches or by Methodist ministers.
Harper said that Wright thought the proposal would be a beautiful way to honor their relationship if they can’t get married at the church.
“He agreed that was a great way to let us have that moment in a place that we love,” he said.
11. Now, Harper is sharing his proposal and story with the hopes that other people may realize that not all churches or religions will shun you because of who you love.
“Your lifestyle, your sexuality, your choices, who you love — they don’t define your right to search out the faith that makes you feel whole,” he said.
He added: “You cant let your sexuality define your right to walk a spiritual walk.”
12. The couple is also hoping that by the time they plan to get married in 2016, they will be allowed to marry in their church. “We would love to walk down that aisle,” Harper said.
- The US Department of Justice will keep defending Muslims under Donald Trump, top Obama administration officials said Monday.
- The UK prison service is suppressing evidence of corruption among its guards which is fueling violence behind bars.
- Grammy nominations: Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶