A Mom's Shocking Facebook Photo Shows Why You Should Be Wary Of People Kissing Your Baby
Claire Henderson said her newborn daughter could have died after she contracted oral herpes from a visitor.
A mom in the U.K. is trying to warn others after she says her newborn could have died from getting a kiss from a visitor after her birth.
Claire Henderson's daughter, Brooke, was born about a month ago, and many visitors stopped by to meet her.
Henderson told BuzzFeed News that one of the visitors carried the herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), which causes cold sores and can be transmitted via oral-to-oral contact.
She said the visitor didn't appear to have a cold sore at the time she held Brooke. However, HSV-1 can be transmitted through saliva and surfaces in or around the mouth as well, according to the World Health Organization.
While feeding her daughter one night, Henderson said she noticed Brooke had a cold sore and swollen lips.
When she got to the hospital, Henderson's doctors said she was right to take Brooke's condition so seriously.
Dr. Bonnie Maldonado, a professor of pediatric infectious diseases at Stanford University, told BuzzFeed News that cases such as Brooke's are rare, but incredibly serious.
Brooke was put on an anti-viral drip for five days, and is now doing well. Henderson said she decided to share the story on Facebook to warn other moms to be extremely vigilant.
Henderson said the situation was terrifying, and more people need to be aware of the risks.
"I've read other stories where there have been babies who die from the herpes virus. It's really scary that it's not more publicized," she said.
She added that she is amazed about how far her story has spread, and hopes it'll make a difference.
"I really hope that it has raised awareness and can help other parents recognize the signs to act quickly if their baby contracts it, too," she said.