back to top

A Professional Surfer Got Attacked By A Shark On Live TV

This video is terrifying.

Originally posted on
Updated on

A surfing competition in South Africa has been canceled after a surfer on Sunday had an extremely close call with a shark.

Australian surfer Mick Fanning was competing in the J-Bay Open when the shark attacked, World Surf League (WSL) spokesman Dave Prodan told BuzzFeed News.

Prodan originally said there were two sharks in the water, but the WSL later said in a press release they believe there was only one shark.

The terrifying moment was broadcast live on a webcast.

View this video on YouTube

Luckily, Fanning is OK. "Outside of a severed leash, Fanning was physically unscathed," Prodan said.

The WSL added that Fanning and his fellow Australian competitor Julian Wilson were quickly picked up and taken to safety.

One Instagram user posted a photo of Fanning being rescued.

The three-time World Surf League champion looked pretty freaked out in a photo shared by Surfing magazine after the incident.

He told a reporter he just saw fins, and started kicking and screaming.

Fanning was quickly joined by friends after the harrowing incident.

People on social media soon began to praise Fanning for being a complete badass.

That shark didn't stand a chance.

Other people wondered what the shark had to say about all this.

The league announced later Sunday that it has canceled the competition, saying safety is its first priority.

Fanning and Wilson have agreed to split the prize money for the competition.

"We are incredibly grateful that no one was seriously injured today," the WSL said. "Mick's composure and quick acting in the face of a terrifying situation was nothing short of heroic and the rapid response of our Water Safety personnel was commendable — they are truly world class at what they do."

The league added that the incident was the first shark attack in the history of competitive surfing.

The best things at three price points