1. “It’s the Citizen Kane of stripper movies”
One preview went as far as to compare it one of the cinema’s greatest films. But if the basis of comparison is Showgirls and Striptease, then yes Magic Mike is among the best out there. It’s better to compare it to Boogie Nights. There’s plenty amount of plot and depth (among the lead characters) for what is basically a blockbuster-stripper movie.
2. It’s more of a buddy comedy than a rom-com
Despite some misleading previews and an overuse of Rihanna’s ‘We Found Love,’ the main focus of the story is not the love connection between Mike (Tatum) and Paige (Cory Horn). The bromance of Mike and Adam (Alex Pettyfer) is really at the center of this story.
3. It could have been called “Channing’s 11”
Much like director Steven Soderbergh’s other film, Ocean’s 11, the best part is the buddy camaraderie. In this case, Tatum is the equivalent of George Clooney and the rest of the strippers fall into place accordingly. Note: I am not comparing the acting abilities of Channing Tatum to George Clooney.
4. Just to warn you: Matt Bomer and Joe Manganiello’s roles are small
But that’s not to say that aren’t great. Both of the men dominate all the stripper sequences - Bomer as a doctor on call and Manganiello proving why he’s called Big Dick Richie. But if there’s a sequel, these two should be put front and center.
5. Elvis Presley’s granddaughter is in the movie
Riley Keough who has a small role in the film is actually the daughter of Lisa Marie Presley and the eldest grandchild of Elvis and Priscilla Presley. She made her film debut in The Runaways with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning.
8. Matthew McConaughey steals this movie
McConaughey has always done his best work in ensemble films and Magic Mike is no different. He steals every scene he is in with a role that could have been what happened to David Wooderson from Dazed and Confused if he finally grew up. His best scene is with Pettyfer in the gym. Pure genius!
9. Soderbergh makes stripping look cool
Realizing this is not Contagion or Erin Brockovich, the director has fun with the camera in this movie. There are a lot of close ups (but not like the dizzying Hunger Games) that put you right in the strip club and sometimes in a character’s junk. The party sequences and stripping montages are the most fun to watch. Yet, elements of his signature style from The Informant! to Traffic are all there.
10. It’s worth the price of admission
This movie, if nothing else, is a good time. It defines the summer popcorn flicks Americans love to flock to. While straight men may not immediately see the appeal, there are topless chicks and bros being bros (see no. 2 & 3). But gays and girls should grab their friends, hit up happy hour and then shimmy on over to the theater for a fun, raunchy night.
(If you’re not convinced, check out 50 Reasons To See Magic Mike.)
- BuzzFeed News has identified the 4th member of an ISIS cell that beheaded 27 hostages. His mother tells the family's story.
- Donald Trump has repeatedly panned the 2011 U.S. action in Libya. But that year, he blasted Obama for not targeting Qaddafi sooner.
- A Baltimore officer was found not guilty of charges stemming from Freddie Gray's death in police custody last year.