26 Reasons Why Chris Kluwe Is An Awesome Guy
The punter for the Minnesota Vikings has been making waves on and off the field but for all the right reasons.
1. Chris is part of a growing number of NFL players vocalizing their support for gay rights
2. And he says "NO!" to the Minnesota Marriage Discrimination Amendment
3. He's even willing to debate Minnesota lawmaker Mary Franson who singled him out as an opponent of "traditional values"
4. He defended fellow NFL star, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, after he came out for gay marriage
5. And was respectful of Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk's opposition of same-sex marriage
I will support your right to worship at whatever altar you choose but I will not support you trying to force it on someone else, or to deny someone else legal benefits due to religious reasoning ... This is not an attack on you as a person or your beliefs but the argument you presented in the Star Tribune simply does not stand up to logical inspection.
6. He penned a public letter to Maryland state delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr., which includes this amazing quote
[Gay people getting married] won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster.
Read the full letter here.
7. He used the postscript to maximum effect
P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. Asshole.
8. He was featured on the cover of "Out" magazine
9. In which he talks about his positive outlook for the NFL
I strongly believe that goodness is contagious and that others will jump on board as the younger generation begins to populate the NFL.
10. And why he is taking a stand on gay rights
It’s all about the Golden Rule: Treat other people as you want to be treated. It’s that simple. It’s something that needs to be spoken about, and it’s something I can do while fulfilling my job as a football player.
11. He had a sense of humor about his "Out" photoshoot
12. Which, let's be honest, is pretty sexy
13. Again, no complaints here
14. He strives to break stereotypes
I’ve always relished breaking that stereotype of the dumb jock athlete because while I enjoyed athletics growing up, I also enjoyed reading and video games, and athletic sport is not what defines me as a person. I think as more and more generations start rising through the NFL, a lot of these kids see that it’s OK to be something other than an athlete.
15. And is proof that not all jocks are meatheads and that some are well-read
16. He knows how to properly use "its" and "it's"
17. He rocks it on bass
18. And is a total gamer
19. He wanted to change his name to "Chris Warcraft"
Back when [Bengals receiver] Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, I told the guys at 93X that I was going to change my name to Chris World of Warcraft." They said that's too long. So they started calling me Chris Warcraft. I could make a lot of money if I changed my name to that.
20. He turns football into RPG quests on Twitter like this game against the San Francisco 49ers
21. And even manages to complete them
22. He did, after all, deliver a game-winning punt against the Detroit Lions
23. Because he's a damn good punter
24. But he also shares the credit with his teammates
Our gunners did a great job getting down there, downing the ball. I had excellent protection the entire time. It just showed as a special teams unit what we can do when we're firing on all cylinders.