1. So, ten years ago today, this album came out:
2. And one of this album’s songs, Come Clean, was the title track of this treasured TV show:
3. Which was itself partly based off this seminal program:
4. Which chronicled the lives of the troubled teens of America’s upper class, many of whom chose to dress as tortured PuNk RoCk ChiCkS like this:
Don’t mess with these girls- nobody could ever understand the pain of being sixteen and having more money than a small Pacific island nation.
5. America’s teens were also influenced by the bubblegum pop stars of the time, who dressed bad enough to forever leave us with awful/amazing photos like this:
6. And this:
7. And this.
8. This was before Britney’s crazy phase when she shaved her head and started hanging out with the queen of the early 2000s, Lindsay Lohan:
9. Who starred in the legendary 2004 masterpiece known as Mean Girls:
10. And looked like this at the time:
Moment of silence.
11. And who also dated another beloved early-00s movie star, this dude:
12. Whose death was rapped about in a song by Eminem, the biggest-selling musician of the era:
Am I the only one still mourning Kiminem?
13. Who once got caught lip-syncing at an awards show, just like Ashlee Simpson, whom we had to watch do the most awkward hoedown in history after getting caught in the act on SNL:
Still cringing at this.
15. Which was so successful it paved the way for the latest in a long line of Disney-starlets-turned-popstars-turned-trainwrecks, Miley Cyrus, who already shaved her head and is probably weeks away from beating people with umbrellas after this:
16. And who sadly looked like this when Hilary Duff’s album was released ten years ago in the magical early 2000s:
God bless. I know she’s just being Miley, but can’t she go back to being this Miley?